Graphic Card Help

freddy-firecracker 20:59 20 Jan 05

Hi, having just bought a new PC for my son, realised it would not run Sims 2 or Star Wars Battlefront. Error on screen saying i need a card with T & L capability. Decided to buy Graphics card as it was onboard graphics. Not sure what card though.. My Motherboard name is a MSI P4MAM-V (MS-6787 v2.0)and the chipset is a VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A if that means anything. Can i just buy any card?? or does it need to be a specific card to be compatable with my PC. The PC is XP and a Celeron processor if that helps??

inneedofhelp 21:11 20 Jan 05

if your motherbooard has an agp slot, which it will probally have, make sure you buy an AGP graphics card, with at least 128mb ram.,256 is better. The radeon 9800 is a good card, wil easily play most games apart from doom 3.I used to have the radeon 9800xt, but since upgraded, and played all games i had.but for you, the 9800 will suffice, heck, even the 9600 will suffice.

Ballie 21:35 20 Jan 05

I have looked at you motherboard on the msi website you can fit any AGP card like most things the more money you spend the better the card you will get I can recomend the Nvida Gforce cards you would be best to buy at least a 5000 series or higher, although ATI cards a fine to I just like Nvida, also you should look at how much Ram you have your board can take DDR2100 up to 2gb I would think you would need at least 512mb.

The link below will take you to the page with details on your board.

click here

It will take an AGP card - the speed of the slot is X4 - newer AGP cards are X8. However a X8 card will work fine in a X4 slot, just not quite as fast, but probably not enough difference for us mere mortals to notice.

I can confirm that an ATI (Power Color, Sapphire, ATI) 9600 256MB runs these games no problem.

Tip : - Remove drivers for On Board Pro Savage Drivers. Shut down PC. Fit new Graphics card, attach monitor. On first boot, enter the BIOS and disable ONBOARD GRAPHICS. Safe and restart PC> Sorry if you knew that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…