graphic card headache!

mick the hat 17:10 27 Feb 04

system,ga-kn8 pro motherboard,athlon 64 3200+,1 gig pc3200(400)ddr,120 harddrive(8 meg buffer),gforce4 ti4200,xp pro! I have bought a radeon 9600 xt(256mb)card. I have used the driver cd that came with the card,but cant get the ati suite that the instruction manual saids i need to run the card,just the drivers!when i try to run games with just the drivers i get a very blocky image that just gets worse the more that i try to improve the image.any help would be appreciated!!! thanks,mick the hat.

JFT 17:29 27 Feb 04

Did you fully remove the nvidia drivers before installing your new radeon card?

gudgulf 17:56 27 Feb 04

Sounds like the drivers havent installed properly.Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

BTW I think that the suite referred to in the manual consists of the drivers/control panel and any drivers needed for a vivo equipped card.You can download such suites from ati as an alternative to downloading each component seperately.Your card should run perfectly well with the drivers supplied on the instalation disc.

What driver version is supplied with the card?

For an excellent alternative to the official ati drivers try click here

garrema 18:09 27 Feb 04

You need to uninstall the graphics driver first before installing the new driver. When installing a new driver recently the advice ex. NVidia web was to also turn off the antivirus as well. Not sure what ATI advocate.

Does standby still work?

woodchip 18:26 27 Feb 04

Right click on desktop choose Properties\Settings\Adapter\Change\ choose show all Devices choose a Generic Card click apply click OK then shut down and fit the NEW card when it says found new hardware click have disc or click cancel and run the software from the CD

mick the hat 19:41 27 Feb 04

yes i uninstalled the nvidia drivers,but the audio drivers that came with the motherboard i have left because of the 6.1 onboard sound,also i have left the nforce3 drivers installed as well because im not sure that i would alter the bios features of the motherboard(both are nvidia drivers)!

mick the hat 19:46 27 Feb 04

yes standby is ok,antivirus was disabled,still no luck!!!!

mick the hat 19:51 27 Feb 04

thanks i will try the solution you have put forward,i need to go out and kill a few thousand braincells(hic!)i will let you know how it has worked out tomorrow!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…