Graphic Card Device Conflict Win 95

ArthurFowler 10:06 31 Jan 03

I have an old PC running Win95 with a Voodoo 3 card. It has been running fine for years. I recently added a LAN card, and moved its location and now I’ve got a problem.

I can’t run any of my graphics based games (e.g. Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament etc.) as the PC crashes as soon as they start. I looked at Device Manager and found a conflict on the video card (conflicting with the Pentium Processor to AGP Controller for Memory Range x 2 and Input/output range). I tried setting the settings manually, but got a windows protection error. I tried different settings, and now when Win95 starts up I get an error saying “There is a problem with your display settings. The adaptor type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware”. The Display Properties dialogue box is then shown. If I do nothing there (i.e press cancel) and try to re-boot, I get the Windows closedown music and the screen goes blank, but the PC stays on. A restart results in a scandisk.
If instead of pressing cancel when the Display properties comes up, I change any of the settings (and by the way, the manual settings are still there and there is no resource conflict message), I get a “you must restart your computer for the settings to take effect”. So I press ok and I get the same incomplete closedown problem.

If I boot up, and go to the Device Manager and change the settings back to automatic configuration, the PC boots up and closes down fine, but I can’t play my games!

I've tried uninstalling the Voodoo Driver software and re-installing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much
Arthur

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…