Graphic Card Device Conflict Win 95

ArthurFowler 10:06 31 Jan 03

I have an old PC running Win95 with a Voodoo 3 card. It has been running fine for years. I recently added a LAN card, and moved its location and now I’ve got a problem.

I can’t run any of my graphics based games (e.g. Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament etc.) as the PC crashes as soon as they start. I looked at Device Manager and found a conflict on the video card (conflicting with the Pentium Processor to AGP Controller for Memory Range x 2 and Input/output range). I tried setting the settings manually, but got a windows protection error. I tried different settings, and now when Win95 starts up I get an error saying “There is a problem with your display settings. The adaptor type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware”. The Display Properties dialogue box is then shown. If I do nothing there (i.e press cancel) and try to re-boot, I get the Windows closedown music and the screen goes blank, but the PC stays on. A restart results in a scandisk.
If instead of pressing cancel when the Display properties comes up, I change any of the settings (and by the way, the manual settings are still there and there is no resource conflict message), I get a “you must restart your computer for the settings to take effect”. So I press ok and I get the same incomplete closedown problem.

If I boot up, and go to the Device Manager and change the settings back to automatic configuration, the PC boots up and closes down fine, but I can’t play my games!

I've tried uninstalling the Voodoo Driver software and re-installing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much
Arthur

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now