grandaughters usb stick ?

Ikelos 14:13 17 Jun 06

hi, my grandaughter got herself a usb stick to put her homework on, when she first got it, it was fine, it works fine on her schools PC's but not on her win98 laptop, which was win95..it tells me no driver has been loaded, but she never got anything with the usb stick..she is here now, any ideas on how i might get it to work for her.........thanks

mike1967 14:18 17 Jun 06

If I'm right you do need drivers for usb devices when using windows 98
Its from 2000 on you don't

Find out the name of the usb stick and go to the company website and download the drivers

Zak 14:20 17 Jun 06

Search for usb stick manufacturer's site, model name/no.

You may be in luck and the site will have win98 usb driver for download.

LinH 14:22 17 Jun 06

USB flash drives only work without a driver on Windows XP. All other verisons need a driver, usually supplied on a cd when you buy the product. If you bought it from someone you need to ask them for this disk. Alternatively, go to the manufacturers website, you might find it there as a free download.

Ikelos 14:22 17 Jun 06

thanks, will try that now.

LinH 14:23 17 Jun 06

verisons = versions

A senior moment!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 17 Jun 06

Try your USB stick under Windows XP. This will recognise it and a small box will pop up identifying the manufacturer of the stick. With that information go search for that manufacturer's web site on the Net. Most likely they will have a Windows 98 driver for it.

Ikelos 15:22 17 Jun 06

hi, back again,,it is a Mikomi 250mb from argos, found some drivers, and because they are 4.5 mb i burnt them onto a cd, still no joy..it just tells us no driver has been loaded...the usb thingy in device manager just has the yelo question mark over it..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 17 Jun 06

right Click on the driver in device manager, select proerties and tell us what the error code is?

Jackcoms 15:29 17 Jun 06

"and because they are 4.5 mb i burnt them onto a cd, still no joy"

But have you actually loaded the driver onto your granddaughter's PC?

vinnyT 15:34 17 Jun 06

I think you have to load the drivers first, without the stick in a port, reboot, insert stick in port, and it should be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…