Up grade to XP Pro ?

ruskle 20:56 02 Nov 05

I have just took delivery of a new Toshiba Satellite M60 and am a bit pleased with it but before I start to install my software I would like to change to XP Pro. With my last Satellite I had a floppy drive and used a start up disk from an old ME Satellite to Format the HD and start from scratch. AS this new PC doesn't have a floppy drive I wonder how to repeat the process. Can I copy the floppy to a CD? If so how do I get into the DOS to run it. Am I gaining anything by still using Pro or is XP Home OK. I use XP Office Pro among other software.
I still have a Satellite with Pro on it and a USB crossover cable and TX software, any use ?

Strawballs 21:05 02 Nov 05

If you have the pro disc just go into the bios set to boot from cd rom first put the disc in the drive and reboot it will tell you that their is a copy of windows already on the hard drive and would you like to format then just follow instructions.

ruskle 21:22 02 Nov 05

Thanks for that info Strawballs. I will be onto to it as soon as the dawn breaks. I have the legally purchased Pro disc. The other software that came with the Laptop DVD ie Autoroute 2005 and Pocket streets can still be loaded afterwards. ( I presume). Just before I start on the job I will await any replies which may sugest that it's not worth changing to Pro.

Stuartli 21:25 02 Nov 05

Reasons for switching to XP Pro include superior networking, security and backup - it's a business orientated version over Home.

click here

for a roundup of the differences.

ruskle 10:19 03 Nov 05

Thanks for all your info Chaps, I decided to have a look at Home Edition and am now going to keep it rather than go through all the hassle of changing to my more famliar system of Pro. I don't network as such, only Wi Fi at both premises and the security is OK. We do the file transfers with a memory stick.

See you soon with my next query.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…