Grabbing ASP code for Web Pages

beastieboy 12:08 09 Apr 03

Hi,

Is there anyway on earth that I can grab the underlying ASP code to a webpage without having any sort of access to the FTP site or that sort of access?

Many thanks,

Janusz Jasinski

Sir Radfordin™ 12:14 09 Apr 03

I very much doubt you would be able to do that, and in any case, unless you wrote the original code it is likely to be copyright protected so what you are trying to do would not be legal.

beastieboy 12:16 09 Apr 03

I understand this issue of legality, but the problem I have is with some ASP that I wrote... unfortunately, the compnay has not paid me and therefore I have not got access to my ASP pages which I would like back - short of this, I will have to try and hack into their server and shut down the site

Taran 13:31 09 Apr 03

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at here.

If you wrote the ASP in question then you know exactly how it all hangs together. You should also know that unless some pretty sophisticated code encryption or other method of hiding the source has been employed, you can view the source code of the page which will return pretty much all of what you need, or at least the bulk of it, if all you want is the code involved.

The only thing you don't have access to using this method is the data source(s) that reside server-side that the ASP pages are connecting to and interacting with to perform whatever functions you asked them to during coding them.

What kind of ASP did you write ?

Was it ASP.NET, VB, JavaScript or what have you ?

You sound as though you seem more interested in removing the pages entirely.

Talk of attempted server hacks and so on will not result in helpful replies here in the Helproom.

I'd suggest that if the other parties in this have somehow breached an agreement of some sort, you pursue this through the normal channels until some kind of resolution has been reached.

It is unclear from your post whether or not the pages belong to you yet reside on a host that is not yours or that you do not have direct access to, or whether the pages are, in fact, someone else's but coded by you.

It's interesting that you "understand this issue of legality" yet talk about hacking their web server in the same sentence.

I think you need to provide more detail before you will get any firm help. You've raised a few question marks and nobody is going to get involved in a discussion on web server hacking.

beastieboy 13:33 09 Apr 03

Hacking - this term has been used in the wrong context over and over again.

Sir Radfordin™ 13:35 09 Apr 03

Regardless of the fact that you haven't been paid it may still be the case you aren't entitled to do this.

You will need to look at the orignal contract and your terms of your employment.

If you were doing this as a contractor and not an employeee then why didn't you keep a copy of the work?

If you did it as an employee but just haven't been paid you may have no claim to this work. The only approach would be through legal advice on the terms of any contract that exists.

Taran 13:46 09 Apr 03

From your own posts, I quote:

"short of this, I will have to try and hack into their server and shut down the site"

Just how is this "used in the wrong context over and over again" ?

I'm not entirely sure how I could have misinterpreted your meaning, since you state that you intend to attempt a web server hack to shut down the site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…