GPU Temperatures

BigMoFoT 16:02 05 Apr 04

Afternoon all,

Have found a way to enable extra settings in the display properties for my nVidia drivers(Overclocking facility) running a XFX GFX 5700. However I'm a little concerned about how overclocking will affect the temperature but have no way of montitoring it? Does anyone know of any utilites available for temperature monitoring graphics cards or any registry tweaks that will enable temp monitoring for the nVidia drivers?

Also does anyone know what is a safe temperature if there is a monitor available?

Gongoozler 16:34 05 Apr 04

Unless there is a temperature sensor on the graphics card then there is no way that your computer can measure the graphics card temperature. This card, for example has a built-in temperature monitor click here. You could attach a temperature probe to the graphics chip for a remote display such as this one from Maplin click here.

BigMoFoT 16:50 05 Apr 04

How will the card know how hot it is then if there are no tempereature sensors?

AndySD 16:56 05 Apr 04

It wont. If you want to overclock a GPU you take the risks? But to minimise this you should install a larger fan on the card and preferably some RAM heatsinks on the card as well.

Gongoozler 17:15 05 Apr 04

Hi BigMoFoT, that is exactly the point I was making. The Tachyon card I linked to above claims to have a temperature sensor, otherwise you need to get a temperature module like the one from Maplin and stick the probe on your GPU. The display panel could be incorporated in your computer front panel, or you could build it into a box and make it a portable instrument. Some digital multimeters also have a temperature probe function.

BigMoFoT 17:18 05 Apr 04

Fair enough - so basically a graphics card will effectivley 'burn out' if the fan fails for example as there are no measures to shut the card down in a similar way a BIOS will shut the system down if the CPU gets too hot?

Gongoozler 17:39 05 Apr 04

That's the way I see it. For an illustration of burning-out, try running an Athlon without a heatsink!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…