GPS Navigation

sdf 22:43 22 Jan 05

Hello all. today at work for the first time I had use of a ‘TomTom Go’ GPS Navigation system, and quite frankly I think it is, for someone like myself who can barely make it out of my street without getting lost, is THE best gadget I have ever come across! In an attempt to kerb my impulsive reaction to wildly rush out and spend £430 – has anyone had experience good or bad with this or any other stand alone GPS system? One thing that worries me is about future subscriptions – nowhere can I find any mention of having to pay to receive the information from the satellite for the long term… does this mean its free? I would very much appreciate any feed back anyone has.

Bagsey 22:59 22 Jan 05

Yes it is paid for when you buy the machine. The only cost to you in future will be if you want maps that you dont have.. I agree it is a super piece of kit..
The only down side is the touch screen get pretty messy with finger marks after a days travelling. so take screen wipes with you.

Colinp 23:17 22 Jan 05

You do not have to pay to receive the satellite signals. All you need to receive the signals is a GPS receiver. The Americans pay for those satellites.

Beas-Knees 23:35 22 Jan 05

If you have a GPS speed camera detector then you get 6 months of free updates and then you pay about £5 per month

mole44 08:16 23 Jan 05

i bought myself a navman 510 from halfords (£399),its brilliant put in your destination and just drive ,no stress wondering which road to take. once you learn to trust its directions going from a to b is stress free,it will even reroute you in the event of a diversion.

g0nvs 09:38 23 Jan 05

Had a Tom Tom GO since August & can't fault it at all. If you are thinking of buying one then do shop around, prices are comming down.

TomG 14:08 23 Jan 05

Mine works great - reroutes really quickly. One thing though is that before you use it you have to let the satelite receiver configure itself (you have to be outside a building with the system on - took about half an hour).

The other thing I found was that the GPS reciver goes flat quickly so I bougt the car holder which powers it from the cig lighter

Bagsey 14:29 23 Jan 05

I am surprised that your Gps takes so long to get itself up and running. Just a thought do you have a heated windscreen? If so you really need an external antenna. Heated screens are known to be the cause of most gps problems in cars I suppose that it is due to the screening effect of the heating elements.

anchor 14:39 23 Jan 05

There have been various threads on the topic of Satellite navigation. TomTom Go received the thumbs up!. I have TomTom 3 for use with my PDA and its excellent. "Go" is more convenient.

No, you don`t have to pay anything to receive the signals.

£396.50, icluding delivery, from the Comet on-line store.

click here

TomG 10:26 26 Jan 05

Bagsey

It was in the instructions? Which was confirmed when I emailed TomTom support. But that was the nearest thing to a problem I've had with it, it is really very good - reroutes happen in a matter of seconds

Michael_R 15:42 26 Jan 05

If anyone is new or wants info on GPS I would recommend a visit to this site. It is full of forums, discussions and information on all GPS devices.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5