GPRS connection problem to Laptop

jambolino 17:48 09 Jun 03

I have a Nokia 6310i mobile phone that I connect to an IBM Thinkpad laptop, running Win XP Pro via a Nokia Data/USB connector.

This uses a GPRS connection for data transfer, when it is working, it is brilliant and gives a 115k connection speed, however I am getting problems with an intermittant 'no dial tone' message when I try to connect.

The Phone and data Cable have both been replaced and the drivers reloaded on the PC, all phone and laptop settings have been checked and re-checked.

The modem is inside the phone so obviously a good connection at the connector is important, however I have heard that the data connections on Nokia phones are prone to problems (especially poor contact of pins on the connector and phone).

Has anyone had problems the same as me or can anyone offer further advice.

John-259217 18:29 09 Jun 03

I use the same phone without this problem.

Have you tried using IR rather than the link cable?
This would help eliminate a bad connection as the problem.

The only time I have seen anything similar occur is if I allow the IR or Bluetooth link I use to fail. This results in the connection defaulting to the Laptops internal modem which, not being connected,shows a no dial tone error.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…