GOT SHORT SHRIFT FROM DELL SUPPORT & MUST PAY €87.

SANAP 11:13 12 Dec 05

I have a software fault with my DELL dimension 8300 xp pro and need to do a repair but it hnags at 39 mins, I think it is fialing to read cd drive at this stage. The fault was caused by easy cleaner in that I stupidly pressed delete when on duplicate files. System restore did not work anymore. I rang DELL technical and after a few questions I was told u will have to do a re-install and here is the number and it will cost u €87.12c. I have all the disks but dont know enough to do it myself.

I want to save data on PC before I do a clean install BUT how? I will try anything. I thought DELL support would at least help me but did not want to know.

When I get stuck the system asks for files eg ASMS aand then u type the path, it should be d:\ but it will only take c:\ and then it asks for NT5INF.CAT and will not recognise any path.

I am desperate. They are calling me back at 12.00 today.

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 12 Dec 05

This the third thread you have started on the same subject
click here

click here

this just causes confusion if you want to move the thread up just type in "bump" or anything else.

Is the drive formatt in FAT 32 or NTFS?

If fat then a windows 98 boot disk will allow you to read the drive and copy to floppies.

If NTFS then a NTFS reader disk from click here

You could alwys make a bootable CD from this months cover disk using BartPE

SANAP 12:28 12 Dec 05

Thanks for reply, I am trying to get my head round the mess I am in so thought by giving a different heading would help explain. The problem is no longer with easy cleaner so thought if I keep that heading then it will be ignored.

Basically I dont know enough to do what I want to do. I was led to believe that xp pro is quite robust and that it can be ressurected from almost the dead. I thought DELL would know a workround.

My knowledge is scant, hence hitting the wrong key with easycleaner. I have a new HD on order so as I dont want to lose my data I am trying to figure out a workround.

They have not called back!!

sanap

The win98se pc is fat 32 and the xp is NTFS but this means nothing to me. I want to get at my photos and music. Apparently, I can fit a new drive and then access the other. Also, I might be able to fit hd from new pc in this win98we and access it. I am reading up at the moment. So object is load xp on new drive, use old as slave, and then do a clean install back to the original drive which is 120gb and the new is 300gb. I go to work again next Thurday so have until then to figure it out.

I am lost so your help is appreciated. I'll never forgive myself for using that easy cleaner.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 12 Dec 05

Win98 will not be able to read NTFS formatted drive to recover files, so do not fit dell drive in win98 PC.

At what point is the repair istall asking for files?

It may be a bad CD see if you can borrow someoneesles XP CD (not illegal as you will insert your own number from the sticker on the Dell machine).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…