Got a Router.Do I need a software firewall?

PhiltheFragger 09:00 13 Jan 06

Have purchased a Netgear DG834GT which is a 4 port rj45, adsl modem, wireless jobbie.

It has an enhanced firewall and says in the blurb that it does not recommend using a software firewall as well.

All my pcs have Sygate Firewall on them and certain programs like MSN wont work unless sygate is disabled.

I have read in the magazines that a router is a hardware firewall.but they still say that a software one is also required.

Who do I believe?
What WOULD you do?
What DO you do?

PaulB2005 09:12 13 Jan 06

Not NEEDED but good if you want to monitor OUTBOUND connections - i.e. programs connecting out of your PC. The hardware firewall will be better than the software one for INBOUND connections.

Shortstop 09:14 13 Jan 06

I can't say for certain what you SHOULD do.

I have a modem/router with inbuilt firewall and neither my home or works' PC have software firewalls [my works are very/overly security concious & I figure if they don't worry, why should I?].

I have been running this setup for over 3 years now & NEVER had any issues. I also know that several of the Forumites don't use software firewalls without any problems.

Anyhow, this posting will bring the question back to the top in case anyone else has any suggestions.

BR

Paul

Devil Fish 11:27 13 Jan 06

there is no hard and fast rule if you are happy and confident with your security set up a properly configured hardware firewall should be sufficient.

if you feel you want the extra peace of mind of monitoring outgoing traffic then add a software firewall to the set up

its a question of personnal choice rather than you should do this or that the only given is that if you run a network you need a firewall of some description

Totally-braindead 11:32 13 Jan 06

Many people run without a firewall and have no problem, to go on the net without anti virus is suicide but a firewall is not essential, I must admit although I know certain adsl modems have built in hardware firewalls I haven't read about it being not recommended to run a software one as well.
Thinking about it makes sense I suppose, you can't run 2 anti virus programs at the same time or 2 software firewalls at the same time as they will conflict, so I suppose it makes sense not to run a hardware and software one at the same time.

Totally-braindead 11:34 13 Jan 06

Personally I'd try running both, if theres problems you could always either delete the software firewall or disable the hardware one ( I presume you can do that, I don't know ).

wots it all about 11:39 13 Jan 06

I use zonealarm free and have also got a wired router with firewall, it wasnt a problem until I wanted to access a pc on my home network - i had to do a bit of tweaking but now its fine. ( put the pc's IP in my trusted zone and it's ok now.)

Devil Fish 12:02 13 Jan 06

i feel to hang a network not a single computer on the internet without a firewall would be suicide
the people you are refering to that run without a firewall are most probably running standalone machines

PhiltheFragger 16:07 13 Jan 06

I run a 3 pc home network with my main concern being the one that the kids use for MSN etc

Devel Fish:- you say that to run a network without a firewall is suicide. Is the router based firewall sufficient?

Obviously everything goes through the router

Devil Fish 16:20 13 Jan 06

a router based firewall (hardware firewall) properly configured is sufficient

as i said in and earlier if you wish extra peace of mind you can add a software firewall to monitor outgoing traffic

as far as msn etc goes i have 3 machines on a hardware firewall my daughter has been using meessenger (msn) for about six months on it and have had no problems regarding it

IPA 16:42 13 Jan 06

I have the firewall set up on my D-Link router and zone alarm on each of my computers.It all seems to work ok apart from initially having to enter the printer to the trusted zone. My attitude is, if it works and gives extra protection,then why not?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5