Got New HD Monitor How Watch HD Videos on Youtube?

braveheart9999 13:20 19 Jun 10

Hi

So I've got my new super full HD widescreen monitor.

Now I must replace my 6 year old base unit.

So before I buy the base unit, can anyone tell me what specs I need to actually watch the Youtube HD videos on my new monitor in HD?

Do I need a special card in the base unit and do I need a HD cable, like one does for hooking up a Playstation 3 to the TV?

Would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks.

Graphicool1 14:07 19 Jun 10

Have you tried just clicking on the 'HD' button when watching a video on YouTube?

braveheart9999 14:29 19 Jun 10

Yes I have - the quality is better but I can't assess it properly because my PC is so old everything moves slow and jerky - I only have 512k ram card.

So we saying that I don't need anything else? Just more memory so the video can run properly?

mrwoowoo 14:48 19 Jun 10

First off you need at least a 4MB broadband connection to handle the higher streaming load of HD content or it will stutter and pause. At least that's what you need to watch HD content on BBCI player.
Also, without knowing what graphics card and CPU/RAM etc is in your system we can't give a definite answer.
But if you get at least a 4 meg connection your stuffed.

Graphicool1 15:10 19 Jun 10

It would hurt to beef up your RAM. It's the cheapest way to go to start. What Graphics Card have you got?

Graphicool1 15:12 19 Jun 10

'It wouldn't hurt'

braveheart9999 15:45 19 Jun 10

Well my average broadband speed is about 6mb (tested) so that sounds ok ish.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ

512MB of RAM.

Integrated graphics card about 6 years old. Don't know exactly what it's called.

I agree I need more RAM. I think I'm going to buy this base unit. Any comments?

click here

Graphicool1 19:31 19 Jun 10

It looks and sounds like it would be more than adequate for what you need.

Graphicool1 19:48 19 Jun 10

Where I live I can't use more than 1MB. So there wouldn't be much reason to update my 6 year old PC, even if I wanted to. However, I have to add that I don't want to, because even as it stands, it can do all I need it to.

When I bought it, it was state of the art, built to my spec, for art and music. I have an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 Graphics Card and a Creative SB Audigy Platinum Sound Card with InfraRed Remote Control and 5.1 surround sound speakers with a subwoofer. Over the past 6 years I've added whole gamit of external add-ons.

The mere thought of re-setting this lot up from scratch, fills me with dread. I get cold sweats everytime I think that sometime in the next few weeks we're gonna be moving to another house. G1 ¦¬[

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…