got an ip address

wulliec 17:16 23 Apr 05

I have an ip address etc but when trying to use the browser it keep getting errors any ideas

QuickHare 17:24 23 Apr 05

Thanks for the question. Now... what type of error? Every computer has *some* kind of IP address, but errors could be absolutely anything. Please can you post more info? What appeared, what did you try and do, which website/server did you try to connect to, etc?

octal 17:28 23 Apr 05

Also is the IP address in the form of a number? like 80.84.160.17

QuickHare 17:32 23 Apr 05

You realise how many people will, like me, try connecting to that IP address and be presented with the phrase "There ain't no-one here but us chickens... "? :)

octal 17:40 23 Apr 05

I know, its just an example :-)

octal 17:42 23 Apr 05

I should have added its the IP address for this forum, but some one's got a sense of humour.

wulliec 18:29 23 Apr 05

Yes the IP address starts with 82.xx.xx.xx and has dhcp server address its seems like its connected but when i try to use explorer comes back saying internet explorer could not open the search page

Now i tried ping www. bbc.co.uk it returns saying unknown host bbc.co.uk

I am using windows 98 se using arealtek 8139 pci ethernet adapter for laptop any more ideas gents or ladies out there

Would be most gratefully recieved

wulliec 19:07 23 Apr 05

still waiting can any one help

bremner 20:36 23 Apr 05

I would not get concerned about IP addresses.

You either connect to your ISP or you don't. (Like most of us the ISP will allocate the IP dynamically)

The problem will most likely be the way your browser/ connection is set up.

For starters have you checked that the DNS setting for your connection is on automatic.

wulliec 21:52 23 Apr 05

how do you check that on win98 se ??

VoG II 21:54 23 Apr 05

Can't remember but try click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…