googlemail or gmail

Old Ken 09:46 15 Apr 10

After major problems with my previous email provider, I have been advised to open a googlemail account. I have done so, but the address seems very cumbersome. Is it possible to publicise by e mail address as ***@gmail.com instead of ***@googlemail.com?
I intend to use the account for emails (with attachments) only, not utilising the chat or other features.
Please keep answers non-technical!

onthelimit 10:23 15 Apr 10

I have a googlemail acct. Tried sending an email from Outlook to myself as 'gmail' instead of googlemail. It worked!

mgmcc 12:21 15 Apr 10

"googlemail" and "gmail" are interchangeable but, because "gmail" is a trade mark registered to someone else in the UK, Google cannot allocate "gmail" addresses to UK subscribers. Users can though simply adopt the shorter domain name themselves.

onthelimit 12:53 15 Apr 10

Thanks mgmcc - I didn't know that.

Old Ken 13:56 15 Apr 10

Thanks to mgmcc and on the limit.
My non-technical interpretation of your answersw is that it is OK for me to give ***@gmail.com to my friends as my new email address.However, I suppose there could be trouble ahead if the organisation with the gmail registered trademark starts marketing it as an email system.
Thanks again.

morddwyd 07:12 17 Apr 10

I am in the UK and have been allocated a "gmail" account, which I have had for several years and is in daily use.

mgmcc 08:59 17 Apr 10

Google did issue "gmail.com" addresses in the UK until October 2005. See Google's own explanation at click here

ronalddonald 12:15 17 Apr 10

ken you can use both @gmail.com which is horter for @google.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…