Google Updater - they are getting very persistent

Batch 09:11 04 Feb 10

Just updated to latest version of Google Toolbar on one of my PCs (done because on opening IE a Google update process was launched and occassionally I allow it to run).

However, previously Google Updater had been set up to run as a Service and I had disabled it, so the only time a check for an update might be made was when IE opened (as above).

Now, with this latest version, a new Google Updater Service has been installed (but the old one has not been removed - very lazy programming that). BUT to cap it all, Google has now inserted TWO scheduled tasks to run Google Updater as well.

I've disabled it entirely for the moment just by renaming the .exe, but thought others might like to know just how persistent Google is getting.

GaT7 15:46 04 Feb 10

Couldn't agree with you more Batch. Previously, I also renamed its executable with the .old extension.

Another way to turn it off is in its settings click here. In the latest version it's on the Search tab. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced