Google Toolbar Valentines Edition - Friday 13th?

Andrew P 19:47 13 Feb 04

Hi all,
Have used the Google Toolbar with IE 6.0 for ages now and think its great. After a while of browsing today, I noticed that it had added some hearts to the background of the search box, and that the 1st O of the Google logo + the 'Search Web' icon on the toolbar had changed to hearts also. However, whenever I now double click the IE icon to launch the browser and connect to the internet, it doesn't launch the connect dialog box, says that it cannot connect, and askes me to click the 'try again' or 'work offline' button, none of which connect me to the internet. I have to manually connect by going to Start>Connect To>Freeserve Anytime. It's OK I suppose, but it's a pain. I've checked in Internet Options and Freeserve Anytime is listed as default and 'Automatically dial my default connection' is selected. I havent changed anything or added any new hardware or software, so it must be the Google toolbar. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it just changes itself to the valentines version almost instantly. How can I solve this?
Andrew P :o)

©®@$? 19:54 13 Feb 04

ive just installed google toolbar and it is there on mine, im going to look at the settings

©®@$? 19:56 13 Feb 04

just thinking i'd forget about it as it will probably disappear after valentines day!

©®@$? 20:07 13 Feb 04

i've just looked in my registry and found where the valentines is coming from

DLL c:\program files\google\ggext1.dll

URL http: // com/

i have put spaces in above so u can read it

©®@$? 20:14 13 Feb 04

ignore the DLL c:\program files\google\ggext1.dll

as i have just put http: // com/ and downloaded the cab, and opened it and inside is a valentines.dll ive searched my system for it and it cant find it!

Andrew P 21:05 13 Feb 04

Strange... deleted the c:\program files\google\ggext1.dll to see if it made a difference - it did. The valentines are gone and it connects as before. I wonder how many people are pulling their hair out because internet explorer cant dial anymore?

Andrew P 21:06 13 Feb 04

Could find valentines.dll on my computer either!

Andrew P 21:07 13 Feb 04

"CouldN'T find valentines.dll..."

This unlucky Friday 13th stuff is getting to me!

©®@$? 21:52 13 Feb 04

deleting c:\program files\google\ggext1.dll lets you conenct to the internet?

can you now connect?>

©®@$? 21:53 13 Feb 04

sorry just read you can connect

nice one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…