Google takes ages to dowload

johnem 22:17 21 Jan 04

Hi gang, back for a little more help. I have recently noticed that "Google" takes ages to download browser screen, it used tio be very quick. I have checked my modem/phone line connection, everything appears to be OK. The connection speed is registering 45.2, which is normal. I have carried out a full virus scan with NAV2004 and am just a bit perplexed. I am running XP Pro as an upgrade over the top of ME, yes I realise that may not be the best choice, but.... Other browsers appear to download resonable quickly. Any ideas?

User-312386 22:27 21 Jan 04

have you tried clearing your temp internet files as they may be clogged?

Go to tools>internet options>general tab

In the heading under "Temporary Internet files", click on the button that says Delete files.

Also check your settings as you have a modem. In the same section as above click on settings and make sure the little dot is set to "Automatically" and i would also set the "Amount of disc space used" to around 20mb

Also make sure the history is only set to 7 days as this can clog up memory

hope this helps

woodchip 22:33 21 Jan 04

I do not no what you meen. If I go to bookmarks in Netscape 7 on a Win98se Dial-Up it takes about two seconds to see the Google page

johnem 22:34 21 Jan 04

madboy33©®, have carried out your suggestions, my history setting is at "0" days and have reduced the "Amount of disc space used" to 300mb. Internet Cleanup is preset to clear "Temp internet files" and cookies on "shut down" so am still a bit baffled.

johnem 22:36 21 Jan 04

madboy33©®, have carried out your suggestions, my history setting is at "0" days and have reduced the "Amount of disc space used" to 300mb. Internet Cleanup is preset to clear "Temp internet files" and cookies on "shut down" so am still a bit baffled. I have set the modem speed to 921600, just in case.

johnem 22:39 21 Jan 04

woodchip, thats how it used to be until about a week ago. I don't think that I have knowingly changed anything. If there was a problem of high resistance in the cable beteween the modem and phone socket (15 feet away) surely this would show up as a much slower connection speed, I would have thought?

Border View 22:41 21 Jan 04

Google is my home page and takes a nano second to load.

User-312386 22:59 21 Jan 04

lower disc space to 20mb

300mb you will never ever need

why 300mb?

dont clear up temp internet files as on modem this helps you

woodchip 23:01 21 Jan 04

If I was you I would try click here

johnem 08:14 22 Jan 04

Thanks for that link Woodchip, I will give it a try when I get home.

johnem 10:35 24 Jan 04

Woodchip, I have cut and pasted the IE 6 fix line into the run window and the IE 6 selection window appears, but all of the "radio buttons" are greyed out and I am unable to select the repair function. Any further ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…