Google Redirect Virus?

songbird72884 00:22 AM 26 May 11

I seem to be having some trouble with my browser/computer, and I'm thinking it might be down to the google redirect virus, but I'm not positive. My main cause for the suspicion is that, while most searches and site visits work fine, every half hour or so at least one link I click on will be redirected, with the alert from Avast that an attack has been prevented. Almost without fail, this will be accompanied by the message stating that a website with "66.230.188.67" followed by an incredibly long string of random characters is the culprit. This is combined with the URL bar showing the same IP/URL as in the detection message.

At the same time, I've been finding that my computer's slowing down a lot, as well as the browser occasionally freezing or crashing (though I'm not positive the last symptom is connected or not). Is this typical behaviour for the redirect virus? If so, how can I get rid of it. I've run scans with Avast, McAfee Stinger and MalwareBytes, none of which are showing any abnormalities, so I'm at a loss.

lotvic 00:40 AM 26 May 11

Join the forum at beepingcomputer.com and they will guide you through it. Combofix can be downloaded from their site ClickHere for info

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…