google and 'my location'

awest3 17:54 13 Nov 10

I suddenly find that I have 'my location' identified on the left of my screen in any google search I do. It also shows near locations when I do a search for 'Pizza' or such like.

I tried to turn this off by going to the spanner icon, tools and removing the tick from the 'my locations' box. but it has made no difference..

Can this be turned off ?(registry perhaps) or do I have to change search engines..

GaT7 18:35 13 Nov 10

If you are in the UK, have you tried click here? In other words the non-UK version. If it automatically reverts to the UK site, click on the 'Go to Google.com' link lower down. G

morddwyd 18:53 13 Nov 10

Quite a lot on this in Speakers' Corner

click here

rdave13 19:22 13 Nov 10

Shouldn't happen in Internet Explorer.

why does this bother you?

And to answer your question:

"Can this be turned off ?(registry perhaps)"

It is not a computer setting. Google determines your location using your IP address (as can any site that you visit). The only way to 'disable' it would be through the settings on Google, although on the quick look I've had there doesn't appear to be such an option.

kowshik 06:34 14 Nov 10

just use correct location

awest3 09:23 14 Nov 10

Thanks for all your thoughts on this..!

It appears this cannot be removed so I'll change my search engine.

I don't want a search engine to make choices for me, I want it to display what I've asked for not what it thinks is relevant to my location.
If I wanted this I could put my location into the search.

Thanks again.

VoG II 09:24 14 Nov 10

I find this annoying as well. Not that Google knows where I am but that it gets it wrong!

bremner 11:14 14 Nov 10

Makes no difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…