Google listings 'cached'

peabody 21:54 17 Sep 06

Under what circumstances does a Google search listing not offer the 'cached' option next to 'similar pages'?

To turn the question around, is it a disadvantage in SEO not to have a site 'cached' by Google and, if so, how does one ensure it is achieved?
Thanks.

Forum Editor 01:00 18 Sep 06

and one in which I've been personally involved on behalf of clients.

Introduced in 1997, the Google cache system is unique among commercial search engines. The system allows searchers to access a copy of almost any web page from Google's own servers, in the form it was in when it was last indexed. That could mean the page accessed is either minutes or months old, depending on when Google's robots last crawled it.

Google have been at the centre of controversy over this issue, based on the supposition that there could be copyright infringement involved in making unauthorised copies of web pages and then distributing them. Some site owners also expressed concern that the Google-cached version of their pages could differ from their server copies, and that any libel for instance, might remain in the cache for some time after it had actually been removed from the site proper.

A US district court judge has ruled that there's no copyright infringement however, saying that it is the user, by his/her act of downloading the cached page who creates the copy, and that such copying constitutes "fair use" under american law.

In the UK, the E-commerce Regulations protect search engines. They provide that a company like Google will not be liable in damages (or other remedy or criminal sanction) where the caching is "automatic, intermediate and temporary for the sole purpose of providing a more efficient service".

You can prevent your page from being cached by including a "NOARCHIVE" tag to exclude robots.

peabody 09:00 18 Sep 06

Thanks for the very interesting reply! Personally, I never click on the 'cached' link to see the pages on the Google servers, and to be quite honest I don't see why anybody would want to: a) they probably don't know what it's about b) if they do, they risk seeing out of date material.

I find the court ruling odd: surely Google have made server copies of pages for the user to download and are therefore in breach of copyright??? Oh well, I'm not a legal eagle, so what would I know?

Anyway, the code in the site I am querying does not include a 'noarchive' statement, so I wonder what else is preventing the site from being Google-cached. Any ideas? click here

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced