Google knows I am in Greece so only gives me Greek!

johnincrete 06 Jun 13

I am in sunny Crete, Greece. On my very old XP desktop, occasionally Google goes Greek but is mostly English. On my new Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 and the latest Firefox v21, Google always is in Greek. I even tried entering www.google.com and it changed it to google.gr. The search results are always in Greek and mostly give Greek websites. (a) How does Google know I'm in Greece? (b) How can I convince it that I want English (and will even accept American) (c) If I have a website in Greek, how do I get Google Translate to put it into English

You may say "Learn Greek" but I know many who can speak Greek but do not understand the technical stuff that even Greeks have problems with!

Chronos the 2nd 06 Jun 13

Morning.

Don't how to help as it's all Greek to me, boom boom.

On A more serious note can you not change your home page to google.co.uk?

Chronos the 2nd 06 Jun 13

Might be something here. Google

difarn 06 Jun 13

First of all, Google knows everything - or wants to. Try another search engine.

It is more than likely to be because cookies and cache are cleared when you close Firefox that Google defaults back to the language of the country in which you are at present.

A solution used by many people is that if by clicking on the Google.com in English link that should appear in the lower right corner the problem still arises then you can bookmark that link and click on it when you need to.

Regarding translating whole web pages - this may help but be warned it will probably not make much sense as it does a literal translation of the words rather than conveying the context or true meaning of what is written.

rdave13 06 Jun 13

Try this as your home page. Might work.

Woolwell 06 Jun 13
  Woolwell 06 Jun 13

I prefer IE10 and Chrome to Firefox as I find that with both browsers it is easier to set the default search engine to UK using manage settings.

wiz-king 06 Jun 13

a) from your ip address.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message