"Google" keeps loading up as my "homepage"

AnthonyB 19:54 20 Feb 04

Hello,

Just today, for some reason, Google always becomes my homepage - even if I do th Tools>Internet options>Homepage etc. If i do change it to the one I do use, it will be effective, but only until I restart my computer up, and then were back at google again. Not to bothered about having that as a home page as such - but I'll decide thanks;)

TIA

Anthony

arricarry 20:04 20 Feb 04

I think you may have to take a trip to the registry and find "Google", see what turns up.

AnthonyB 21:08 20 Feb 04

How do i do that then? (take a trip to the registry) and what is that?

TIA

AnthonyB

Legolas 21:53 20 Feb 04

Go here click here and download homepage guard when you install it just type in the address of the homepage you want and select start with windows and it will keep your homepage from being hijacked.

gudgulf 21:57 20 Feb 04

It mught also be worth using adaware and spybot search and destroy just to make sure there is no unwanted spyware on your pc.

Legolas 22:07 20 Feb 04

good thinking gudgulf. AnthonyB click here click here

Legolas 22:12 20 Feb 04

AnthonyB ignore the second link it only allows you to download and scan your system to get rid of anything found you have to purchase click here and download Spybot-S&D its free

AnthonyB 23:35 20 Feb 04

Thanks Legolas

Any idea how it happened in the first place? - it still defaults to Google if I don't use the "Homeguard page":)

I've already got Search and destroy, spy bot, AVG, Avast, Norton...

Thanks

Anthony

gudgulf 23:44 20 Feb 04

Try click here if this does the trick than thank powerless and eric10 for this link.

AnthonyB 00:15 21 Feb 04

Thanks gudgulf,

I applied that, but still get google as my homepage after a PC restart - whatever (homeguard apart)

google is ok.... for now, but what if this "home page" was more malicious than this one, for example? well, home page guard will be ok for now I guess, but still like to know how it happened in the first place:) -

Anthony

temp003 01:56 21 Feb 04

Or click here to download Hijack This, upzip it, double click the .exe file, click Scan and you will see Internet Settings and Startup items.

If you know what is causing you the problem, tick the relevant box(es) and click "Fix Checked".

If you don't know what to do, Click Save Log, which will be saved as a .log file, then copy and paste the text to this forum and we can look at the log for you to see if anything is causing you the problem.

Usually, if the homepage is reset after a restart, it means a startup item is resetting the homepage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…