Google instant predictions

highside 08:22 AM 22 Oct 12

Hello, is there any way of permenantly blocking the very annoying Instant Predictions. (I know how to do it once but it returns if a clean up is carried out) Win 7 64bit IE9

Secret-Squirrel 08:50 AM 22 Oct 12

Customisations for Google (and other websites) are held in cookies. So if you don't want to lose any specific settings then don't delete your cookies when doing a clean up. Cookies are quite safe and are actually quite useful so there's need to keep deleting them all the time

Secret-Squirrel 09:25 AM 22 Oct 12

....forgot to mention earlier that some folks consider tracking cookies to be a pest and those should get deleted by Norton when it does a computer scan. That option is not always enabled by default in security software so you may want to check Norton's settings if you're concerned.

Note too that Malwarebytes' doesn't have a mechanism to detect and remove tracking cookies.

highside 11:55 AM 22 Oct 12

I delete cookies no problem with that I just hate Googles Instant Pridictions.

Woolwell 12:26 PM 22 Oct 12

Do you mean Google Instant part of the search. You can turn it off under your preferences see About instant and the faq section.

Secret-Squirrel 12:41 PM 22 Oct 12

"I delete cookies no problem with that I just hate Googles Instant Pridictions."

You can't have it both ways - if you delete all your cookies then you'll also lose all your Google preferences.

lotvic 16:11 PM 22 Oct 12

If you are not signed in to google when you do your searching you can use which does not give the instant predictions when you start to type.

Secret-Squirrel 16:26 PM 22 Oct 12

Thanks lotvic - that looks like a very useful tip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November