Google instant predictions

highside 08:22 AM 22 Oct 12

Hello, is there any way of permenantly blocking the very annoying Instant Predictions. (I know how to do it once but it returns if a clean up is carried out) Win 7 64bit IE9

Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 08:50 AM 22 Oct 12

Customisations for Google (and other websites) are held in cookies. So if you don't want to lose any specific settings then don't delete your cookies when doing a clean up. Cookies are quite safe and are actually quite useful so there's need to keep deleting them all the time

Secret-Squirrel 09:25 AM 22 Oct 12

....forgot to mention earlier that some folks consider tracking cookies to be a pest and those should get deleted by Norton when it does a computer scan. That option is not always enabled by default in security software so you may want to check Norton's settings if you're concerned.

Note too that Malwarebytes' doesn't have a mechanism to detect and remove tracking cookies.

highside 11:55 AM 22 Oct 12

I delete cookies no problem with that I just hate Googles Instant Pridictions.

Woolwell 12:26 PM 22 Oct 12

Do you mean Google Instant part of the search. You can turn it off under your preferences see About instant and the faq section.

Secret-Squirrel 12:41 PM 22 Oct 12

"I delete cookies no problem with that I just hate Googles Instant Pridictions."

You can't have it both ways - if you delete all your cookies then you'll also lose all your Google preferences.

lotvic 16:11 PM 22 Oct 12

If you are not signed in to google when you do your searching you can use http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0 which does not give the instant predictions when you start to type.

Secret-Squirrel 16:26 PM 22 Oct 12

Thanks lotvic - that looks like a very useful tip.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites