//some 3rd party need geo

Google - Incorrect URL on search

harristweed 11:24 25 Aug 03

I have produced a web site click here This site is for an estate agent in Calpe (Costa Blanca, Spain). Google have indexed the site and on a search for ?calpe homes? it comes up number one. The problem is the description and URL are incorrect, but clicking on the name brings up the correct site. I have tried emailing Google, with a request to correct but all I can get in response is a standard that does not address the problem. Any ideas gang?

Forum Editor 11:44 25 Aug 03

the volume of email that arrives in the Google maliserver and you'll get an idea of why you haven't received a 'human' response. The chances of your request being granted are slim, at least in the short term.

There's really nothing more you can do, but at least the click-through takes visitors to your site - which is very nice by the way. My only comment would be that the text would look far better if it was laid out in a table, and if you used a different font - Verdana is my favourite web font.

zoomer 12:14 25 Aug 03

just tried the keywords you mention and yes it looks like Google is showing a wrong URL, however clicking on the name doesnt return your site, well not at this time, perhaps this means things are fluid and might resolve to your satisfaction.If not try whistling in the wind....seriously, this is an unfortunate situation which unfairly you have little recourse, I`m starting to think that the power of Google is getting way too much of a monopoly...
Have you submitted to DMOZ?

harristweed 12:24 25 Aug 03

FE - thanks for your comments, I have 'tided up' the index page.

Zoomer - thanks- I used Web Position Gold to announce the site. It is a bit early yet to check the other engines (Lycos are the same as google).

I suspect that the IP Address: 65.108.18.15 has been cashed somewhere as another site (possible used the same IP in the past ) and this is the problem

zoomer 13:52 25 Aug 03

it is not uncommon from what I can gather for Google to mix things up with new indexes, general opinions methinks would be wait and see especially after the next "google dance" ,click here

many engines use Google, Yahoo,AOL etc.....disconcerting to think private monopoly decides what returns for our searches.....could so easily be abused......still what would be better ...a state run search engine?.....hmmmm

Forum Editor 13:58 25 Aug 03

many companies pay the engines for a premium slot in search returns, and unless your site is unique you'll find that no matter what you do you'l be slightly at the mercy of the system.

That's life, and it was bound to happen. Unless you are prepared to pay substantial sums for being high in the returns list or, as I said earlier, have a unique site, you aren't likely to stay up there for long.

zoomer 15:42 25 Aug 03

yes, true, and paid placement isnt necessarily bad, I was thinking of amazon listings etc returned in searches, still they could be said to be pertinent too I suppose.Ultimately though unless there is human input the algorithms that the SE`s use will always be less then perfect....

zoomer 11:32 16 Sep 03

interesting article in this months .NET mag about Google being way too dominant

harristweed 11:49 16 Sep 03

thanks for that. is .net mag available on line? I live in Spain and the newsagents here don't have it.

I have moved the site to a different server, and am about to re-announce to the search engines. I will keep my fingers crossed.

zoomer 17:11 16 Sep 03

click here but not sure if it carries the latest printed articles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…