Google Earth Installation Problems

warthog01 12:45 30 Aug 05

I tried to install Google Earth over the weekend. Although it runs the installation programme completely and advises me that "installation was successfully completed," when I try to open the program, it takes me back to the install wizard and then to a repair/revise/remove page. Am I doing something wrong here or is there a software hiccup?

gudgulf 12:54 30 Aug 05

Have you tried running the repair option,or uninstalling/reinstalling the program?

What specification is your pc?...does it meet the program's requirements?

warthog01 13:00 30 Aug 05

Hi gudgulf

Yes I've re-downloaded; re-installed a couple times and tried the repair option with the same results.

The PC meets all the requirements I know how to check--the only ? is graphics card spec--shouldn't it be ok on a 2 year old top of the line Dell Latitude laptop?

Al94 13:16 30 Aug 05

Possibly not - what graphics on the laptop?

warthog01 13:28 30 Aug 05

Don't know--how do I find out?

gudgulf 13:35 30 Aug 05

I don't know if this will help...Google Earth runs by default in OpenGl mode.Not all graphics hardware fully supports this.Try going to Start>All Programs>Google Earth and selecting "Set Google Earth to DirectX Mode".

Maybe it will run then.

gudgulf 13:37 30 Aug 05

I don't know if this will help...Google Earth runs by default in OpenGl mode.Not all graphics hardware fully supports this.Try going to Start>All Programs>Google Earth and selecting "Set Google Earth to DirectX Mode".

Maybe it will run then.

gudgulf 13:37 30 Aug 05

Maybe it will run then.

dagwoood 13:55 30 Aug 05

Here are the minimum and recommended specs for running Google Earth click here

If your running on XP, there are instructions at the bottom for checking what graphics card you have. Alternatively, download Belarc Advisor click here and it will give you a profile of all your installed hardware and software.

As you're tying to run it on a laptop, you most probably have on-board graphics and it may not be up to the task.

HTH, dagwoood.

warthog01 14:22 30 Aug 05

Thanks, Dagwood

My installed graphic card is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000.

I note from the specs you provided that the ATI "Rage Mobility" card is not supported--can I assume this is not the same as mine?

GroupFC 14:33 30 Aug 05

I don't know the answer but it does say on the specification link provided by Dagwood that "Windows-based notebook PCs older than 2 years old may not be able to run it" and I see that yours is 2 years old. Perhaps this may be why you can't run it (although don't ask me why!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…