Google Earth Freezing

AlanHo 10:25 21 Oct 06

I upgraded to the latest version of the free Google Earth and cannot get it working on my desktop. I installed this latest version on my laptop and it works fine - it is just my desktop that is grumpy.

It loads OK and the World sits there waiting for the next action. When I enter my home town - the earth rotates until the town comes into view and it then starts to zoom in - whereupon the programme freezes. If you use the task manager to close down the programme and restart it - the same thing happens but at a different point - sometimes it goes further, sometimes less.

I uninstalled the programme and reinstalled - no luck.

I used Crap Cleaner, RegScrub and Regedit to remove all traces of Google Earth before reinstalling again - this made it better and it went further - before freezing again.

I could use Acronis to go back a month to get back to the old version - but this would be inconvenient because it would remove a number of changes on my machine that I want - including a big Windows update. The lack of Google Earth is not worth the hassle.

How would you go about tracing what is causing this errant behaviour - just curious - in case it happens to a programme I really need.

€dstowe 10:47 21 Oct 06

Try this click here

AlanHo 12:59 21 Oct 06

£dstowe

Thanks for the suggestion - I already use this super programme but find that a few of the rural areas are better covered by Google Earth.

NIGEY 13:18 21 Oct 06

Hi Alanho,I had exactly the same problem and this is how i got it running smooth and as it should,
if you click start/all programs then locate google earth in the programs list,when you highlight google earth you will see in the drop down list SET in directx or run in open GL Then which everone you are currently using to run google earth select the other one then it should run ok,it worked fine for me,Hope that helps Alanho,
Nigey ;-)

AlanHo 14:09 21 Oct 06

Nigey

Thanks a lot - it now works perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced