Google Earth Crash

milleroy 20:24 29 Aug 08

My PC has started to crash when I open Google Earth or Quicktime. The mouse freezes after about 3 seconds. There is nothing I can do except hold the power button.
I tried reducing my Graphics resolution, adding and changing the Ram.
I checked the system using a diagnostics program. Nothing was found.

My PC is a high(ish) spec
3.2Mhz Core Duo
6Gb Ram
XP Pro SP3
256 NVidia GeForce 7600GT
320Gb Sata drive

Any Ideas anyone?

Technotiger 20:32 29 Aug 08

You could try uninstalling using Revo uninstaller, when you are asked if you want to restart your computer, do NOT re-start at that point, Revo will then continue. When you are given the option to Select All and to Delete, Do so! After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

You should then be able to re-download and install G.E.

Technotiger 20:33 29 Aug 08
  milleroy 20:37 29 Aug 08

The problem appeared a couple of months ago. Last weekend I installed a fresh copy of Win XP Pro onto a new formatted SATA drive. I installed a fresh copy of a new download of both Google Earth and Quicktime. Same problem ! Crash - Total freeze, only able to power down - no CTRL ALT DEL - it wont work.

Technotiger 20:51 29 Aug 08

I think I have just spotted your problem - too much RAM. Unless your are running a 64Bit system, XP will not recognise more than 4Gb, or even 3.2Gb at maximum.

milleroy 21:04 29 Aug 08

I thought of that too - I reduced the RAM to 1Gb - still crashes. Tried 2Gb - crash - tried new 2Gb chip - crash - tried 4Gb - crash - I don't think its RAM.
Office 2007 pro is fine as are IE7 and Firefox. Adobe Acrobat (not Reader - full version) Photoshop CS3 all run and will multitask and conbine information. I had 14 programs running with no problems - I close them all and click Quicktime or GE and it crashes within 3 seconds.
I don't understand!

Technotiger 21:12 29 Aug 08

Have you tried running DXdiag to see if there are any conflicts?

milleroy 21:14 29 Aug 08

Yep - no conflicts.

Technotiger 21:19 29 Aug 08

Yo aint makin' things easy is you !!

Technotiger 21:25 29 Aug 08

Two points - 1. I think your 3.2Mhz should actually read 3.2Ghz. Nothing to do with the problem though ...

2. Do you have a Cordless/wireless mouse? If so, this could be the cause of the freeze! Try a different mouse.

milleroy 21:30 29 Aug 08

Corded USB mouse. Just tried a PS2 mouse - no good - sorry !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017