Google Desktop beta ?

Daibus 17:55 25 Oct 04

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but what is the general opinion of the new Google Desktop beta search engine?

Cheers.

Alan2 19:44 25 Oct 04

I find it to be very useful for searching amongst documents on my PC especially email as the standard MS search facility doesn't seem to see them.

I do, however, suspect that its indexing procedure slows down access to the internet.

wint 22:15 25 Oct 04

I have only been using it for a few days but it does look good & amazingly quick to use and produce results.

I have de-selected the report back to Google option, also the option to save secure web pages results.

Wint

Josh123 22:59 25 Oct 04

I have been using it for a week, and it's excellent. Can't think how I managed without it. Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects, so far.
See this review click here

Mikè 16:19 26 Oct 04

Just installed this and added it to Opera's search options excellent little prog.

mcds01 16:22 26 Oct 04

click here

"users could unwittingly allow people who follow them on the PCs, for example, to see sensitive information in e-mails they've exchanged. That could mean revealed passwords, exposed conversations with doctors or viewed web pages detailing online purchases."

Mikè 16:33 26 Oct 04

Yes in as much as it can cache HTTPS pages (this can be turned off) don't install it on a shared (single user account) PC. As for emails surely if someone has access to your account they can see your sent received emails anyway?

Josh123 18:32 26 Oct 04

In my situation, I'm not too worried about your e-mail example, but what Google Desktop can do is to open files that you have password protected; e.g. Excel spreadsheets, or Word documents.

Daibus 11:39 27 Oct 04

Very helpfull replies guys.

Any more opinions?

Daibus 10:41 30 Oct 04

Bump.

JayDay 17:20 24 Nov 04

I have been using this for two days and very disappointed.

No integration with FireFox or Thunderbird.

No partial searching.

When you delete a file or move it the original file location is in the list of hits. I know it's a beta version version, but I don't think it's ready by a long shot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…