Google Chrome won't scroll

Pineman100 13:09 PM 07 Aug 12

I've got an odd problem with Google Chrome, running under Windows 7 Home Premium.

Quite often, when I visit a web page that's longer than my screen can display, I can't scroll down. The vertical scroll bar on the right-hand side of the screen is visible, as is the scroll up arrow button at the top of the bar. But there's no down scroll arrow button.

I've tried dragging the vertical scroll bar, rolling my mouse wheel, using my down arrow key and my Page Down key. Nothing works.

The problem is not universal - sometimes I can scroll down, sometimes I can't. And I can't spot any common link between pages that have the problem. This PCA page scrolls fine!

Any ideas please?

Pineman100 17:39 PM 07 Aug 12

Woolwell 18:36 PM 07 Aug 12

Can you post a link to a site which causes problems? I've not experienced this.

Pineman100 19:36 PM 07 Aug 12

Hi Woolwell, thanks for your response.

Here's the most recent site on which I had the problem:

AV Forums

Peter 19:55 PM 07 Aug 12

Not a solution as such, but a work around.

Try using the SPACE BAR to scroll down and Shift-SPACE BAR to scroll up.

Woolwell 20:34 PM 07 Aug 12

Sorry - it works ok for me. Have you tried disabling extensions?

Pineman100 09:39 AM 08 Aug 12

Thanks for those responses.

Peter - no, I'm afraid that doesn't work either.

Woolwell - the only extension I have is Norton Identity Safe, and I don't really want to disable that, otherwise I won't be able to log into my usual security-protected sites. NIS remembers all my passwords for me.

I only started using Chrome a few weeks ago, because the latest update of Firefox doesn't support NIS.

Woolwell 09:48 AM 08 Aug 12

You don't have to remove NIS. You could try temporarily unticking the box for enable.

However I suspect that you may have to uninstall and re-install Chrome.

Pineman100 09:52 AM 08 Aug 12

Woolwell - yes, I think you're right that a reinstall of Chroe is what's needed.

Oddly, I've discovered that if I right-click on the page and then click "Inspect Element" (which seems to be a way of looking at the HTML - all double-Dutch to me!) scrolling then works fine!

Mordrayso 20:51 PM 30 Sep 12

this will sound ridiculous but it worked for me. Click the maximize button in the top right corner and stretch it out to your preference. You may have adjusted it without realizing it.

Pineman100 13:47 PM 01 Oct 12

Thanks for resurrecting this, Mordrayso. I never did find a solution, so I gave up using Chrome.

But I'll give your suggestion a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off