Google chrome preference file corrupted and cannot be read

mh84 20:54 05 May 14

I have a problem with Google Chrome. When I try to open it I get an error message that says preference file cannot be read. So chrome opens without any of my preferences saved or extentions installed.

I found some advise that says I should rename the default folder. That did not work for me when I tried it. I have uninstalled and re-installed chrome. Works for a bit, I can log in and get it will sync, so I get the themes/bookmarks/extensions. but if I close chrome down and reopen, the preference file is still unreadable! so I have to log in and re-sync everything again! Frustrating

Im wondering if it's a problem with chrome on windows 8.1. I use chrome at work which is on windows 7 and its fine

rdave13 21:03 05 May 14

The browser has become corrupt in my opinion. Regardless of the OS you're running. Unlike Internet Explorer it is not part of the operating system so using Revo to uninstall Chrome, and all the registry components, should work.

click here

mh84 10:32 06 May 14

Ok thanks, Ill give that a try and let you know if it worked :)

mh84 21:48 06 May 14

So I tried Revo as suggested but it doesn't solve the problem.

I reinstalled chrome logged in and let it sync. Closed chrome. When I reopen I get the error message again and have to log in again!

sydneysider 04:49 14 May 14

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, except on win7, and have taken the same steps to no avail, have you had any success at finding a solution yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…