google chrome favorites lost with new PC

Newuser3477 18:09 11 Mar 15

I have just bought a new PC and had help transferring data etc. My helper didn't realize that I would want my favorites list transferred. Have I lost them or is there somewhere on the web that they are stored as well as on my old PC.?

Batch 08:31 12 Mar 15

They will only be in the cloud if (on the old PC) you used to login to google's services (e.g. login with Chrome) and synchronise. I'm guessing that you would be aware of this if you were doing this, so probably not.

On your old PC (assuming you still have it), the bookmarks are stored in a file called Bookmarks (no extension) that is usually stored in something like C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

The exact location will depend on your operating system (e.g. WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8).

There will also be a file called Bookmarks in a similar location on the new PC. Using a flash drive, you can readily copy the old Bookmarks on to the new PC (over the existing Bookmarks file on the new PC). Make sure that Chrome is closed whilst doing this.

You should then be back in business.

robin_x 10:01 12 Mar 15

If you have setup Chrome as you like it, Add-ons, Extensions and settings etc, not just Bookmarks, you can copy the whole Default profile from old to new.

Rename Default folder to BackupDefault first.

---

The principle applies to other browsers, email clients etc.

Just Google for locations. eg 'where is my firefox profile'

---

I have recently found that Windows may not consider your Local and Roaming directories to be your Personal files or Settings.

If you ever do a Windows Refresh (or even a Custom Refresh) those locations may be cleared, even though you thought your Files and Settings were kept.

Make periodic copies and keep in another place. 'Documents' for example. or another drive completely.

Batch 11:54 12 Mar 15

robintheumpteenth

IMHO Microsoft have a lot to answer for in the confusion that have created / allowed to flourish with respect to separating out the likes of user data, program data, program settings etc.

I know that in more recent versions of Windows there is, at least, a Program Data folder. But I doubt that anyone (including Microsoft) uses this consistently.

Certainly Google are no better with Chrome. In fact, the default single user installation is one of the worst I've come across. Not only is user data (particularly bookmarks) stored in an obscure place, the software is stored in the Users folder (rather than Program Files). Whereas choosing to install Chrome for all users (a different download last time I looked), does put the software in Program Files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes