google

gell 12:07 27 Dec 04

For the last nine months I have been trying to get my web site click here
listed on google with no effect.It is a serious site dedicated to those interested in aviation history.I have registered with google but no effect. Ant help would be appreciated.
Gell

Taran 13:31 27 Dec 04

I've just run this search, including the quote marks:

"invicta airways"

You are at the of of page two fo teh returned search query.

If you want to get higher rankings, you could do several things:

1. Use relevant page file names instead of page1.html, page2.html and so on. Try about_us.html, contact_us.html etc.

2. Include relevant metatags in the document headers for the page description and content.

3. Link out to other sites and have them link into yours.

4. Use alt="" tags to describe your images.

There are other things you could do, but the above will certainly help.

You could also provide a custom Error 404 page, since by altering file names you will effectively remove them and anyone requetsing them will get an 'error, page not found' message. A custom 404 page is written and designed by you and has links leading back to the main site navigation, so even if an error page is called, visitors have a way back to your main site content.

What you have to remember is that Google will be trawling through any and every site it has spidered for a search string that reads:

invicta airways

Any site that has a higher natural ranking than yours that mentions invicta airways on its page(s) will appear before yours in a Google search. Running the same search by adding the quote marks, like this:

"invicta airways"

searches specifically for that phrase which is part of your site URL.

But to cut to the chase - you most certainly are indexed by Google.

gell 13:40 27 Dec 04

Thanks Taran
I feel a right fool.After I had posted the query I found that indded they had included it. It must be recent since I tried quite a few times. Thanks also for the helpful hints
Gell

Taran 13:50 27 Dec 04

If you access your site statistics provided by your web host, it will tell you when Google last accessed your site.

You can use this to your advantage in the future, by planning updates to files just ahead of the next sheduled Google visit, but the stats will at least tell you when to expect the search engine to come knocking.

mac_gyver 19:21 28 Dec 04

If you can't access these stats for some reason you can always just click on the 'Cached' link which is part of your Google listing. This will then load your page with details of the last time the page was accessed by the Google Spider.

gell 09:34 29 Dec 04

Thanks for replying mac_gyver. I need all the help I can get. I wonder if I can prevail on your time a little longer.
Where do I find the 'cached link'?
Gell

Taran 10:03 29 Dec 04

When you run the Google search for this:

"invicta airways"

you get your site listed at the top of page 2, as we've already discussed.

The search entry for your site is called:

INVICTA

Below it is a description of the searched page, as follows:

... Invicta Airways British Midland Invicta Air Cargo Ltd Invicta Airways ( 1969) Ltd Invicta Air Cargo ( 1969 ) Ltd Invicta International Airlines Ltd 1971-1979 ...

Below that is another line that redas:

click here - 8k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

The words

Cached - Similar pages

on that line lead to Google's cached copy of your page, with details of its date and time stamp, and the Similar pages link will search for any pages on the web similar to www . invicta-airways . co . uk /page3.html

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…