Good software for newbie to Web Design?

Si_L 11:35 12 Jun 07

I am going to build a website but I only have dreamweaver, and a lot of people said this was bad for beginners.

Is there a free program that I would be better off with? I have seen Serif for free, whats this like?

brundle 16:10 12 Jun 07

How do you want to create your site? Writing HTML or just drag-and-drop?

There are some free tools for Windows here, I still haven't found anything I am as comfortable with as the Microsoft Expression web trial that is soon to run out on my laptop. Barely more than a beginner myself so I barely scratch the surface for features, but I like the HTML/CSS editor all in one app.

Kompozer (updated bugfixed version of NVu)
click here
Awkward CSS editor tho

Coffeecup Free
click here

FirstPage free
click here

HTML Kit
click here
Very configurable, looks very `busy`

Amaya (not for Vista yet)
click here

Si_L 16:32 12 Jun 07

Thanks for the links Brundle. I would like to design my site without having to write HTML. Which site is best for the beginner, most intuitive and easy to learn? Thanks

Si_L 16:33 12 Jun 07

Oh yeah, I am using Vista

Thanks

mco 16:53 12 Jun 07

one of this month's computer mags- can't remember which one it is. It advertises on its cover cd Netobjects Fusion 9 - a real bargain and a very good, starter webdesign program

mco 16:53 12 Jun 07

serif web plus 6 which you have seen for free is fine, but netobjects 9 is more up to date and powerful - and better!

Si_L 17:08 12 Jun 07

I have checked the latest PC Advisor, PC Answers, and Computeractive. None of these have it. Can you remember the name of the magazine?

rocker2007 15:05 15 Jun 07

when i started i used frontpage (which was and is part of office), but i am now using dreamweaver. I find dreamweaver does the job and gives a good look which companies are looking for. it is simple to use, you can get some how to use dreamweaver from here click here . I would also say go to this site click here I have picked up a lot of good tips and skills from this site. loads of info.

hope this helps

frodge 16:10 15 Jun 07

Hi Si_L,

The Mag with free copy NOF 9 is Computer shopper,
Issue 233, July 2007.
Agree with MCO it is an excellent starter programme, as long as you do the tutorials that come with it.
Frodge

robgf 03:22 18 Jun 07

Frontpage Express is a nice simple web page editor, rather like using Wordpad, but with a few extras.
I use it to maintain a 60 plus page web site with no problems. It doesn't have advanced features, tables is about as technical as it gets, but it is a good starting point to learn about web sites, then you can move onto more advanced software later.
Frontpage Express is free (1.7Mb), but can be hard to find, you can download it here:
click here

A basic tutorial for Frontpage Express (you can find quite a few if you google):
click here

UncleP 16:00 21 Jun 07

I think that the offer has now closed. I subscribe to Computer Shopper, but mislaid the DVD. I found it yesterday, but when I tried to register it couldn't find the NOF special offer website. Rats!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…