? A good popup stopper that works with AOL

colberly 13:49 04 Jan 03
  colberly 13:49 04 Jan 03

Please does anyone know of a decent one that works with AOL. At present there is only one site that I visit that has these annoying things appearing so rapidly that they do tend to distract and are becoming so invasive at times that they cover the whole screen. I know someone will probably say don't visit that site, but it is one set up by a friend so that several of us can use the forums. It is a free site so I do understand that the adverts are paying for it's use. At present I am using Noads, which is OK but the popups just seem to pass by as flashes on the screen, then disappear. Is there any that would stop these before they even get to Windows.
Thanks.

TOPCAT® 15:34 04 Jan 03

I'm running ZA Pro - with Cookies and AdBlocker set on high - and SpywareBlocker. I have no bothersome popups or banner ads now.

The problem is advertisers' programmers are for ever devising ways and means to outfox these blockers, hence the cost of ZA Pro, as they in turn try to stop their efforts! Its a vicious circle colberly. TC.

Foolsbane_1 17:30 04 Jan 03

By far the best advice is to get rid of AOL.

Mac & Beth 17:32 04 Jan 03

I believe using Opera (browser) is one way as you can turn them off in the options.

colberly 12:52 10 Jan 03

Thankyou for your replies. Foolsbane_1, I really don't think that your reply was necessary or very helpful since getting rid of AOL is not an option. I have found that if I sign on to AOL then minimise and open IE there is no problem whatsoever. Since it only happens on one site I find this an easy solution.

Foolsbane_1 10:16 11 Jan 03

If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

colberly 10:46 11 Jan 03

I did ask a sensible question, so a sensible answer would have been appreciated. Thankyou to all who have helped in the past, thats my lot. Goodbye.

northamuk 11:32 11 Jan 03

Why is everyone so touchy these days?

Foolsbane's answer, while seeming to be, perhaps, tongue in cheek is not so far off the mark. AOL causes a lot of problems.

Foolsbane_1 12:40 11 Jan 03

Thank-you. My response may have appeared a little glib, but it was sincere and I rather resent the suggestion that I was being deliberately unhelpful.

I have to say that I find it difficult to understand why anyone would choose to remain with the constraints and intrusiveness of AOL when there are many perfectly viable alternatives.

But that is, of course, a matter of personal preference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…