448MB SDRAM
20GB Hdd
LG Seperate CD REWRITER AND DVD DRIVE
IOMEGA Zip 100
Floppy Drve
56k V.92 Ready Modem
Herclues Prophet 4500 64MB G. Card
Soundblaster 16Bit PCI

I am looking to buy a second hand PC, fairly old, to set up a small network.

LOOKING TO BUY:
Compaq Deskpro EP350 Computer System
Compaq Deskpro EP350 Tower Computer
PII 350 MMX
64mb Memory
6.4 Gigabyte Hard Drive
New 48X CD Copier
56k/V90 Modem
Windows 98SE.
Keyboard, Mouse & Speakers.
Price includes 12 months RTB warranty.
PRICE= £190.00 INC VAT.
Is this a good option+price for a network. Please bear in mind that I will use it for small games and the internet. Some components obviously have to be upgraded. Is this a good option in terms of upgradability, (mainly the processor.) PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT I DONT WANT TO GO OVER £200. If u know anyother sites I would be grateful.

Wrinkles 21:45 01 Feb 03

refresh

CPU Magnet 22:26 01 Feb 03

refresh - some please anyone advice is welcome.
Is there anyone out there.

jazzypop 22:34 01 Feb 03

I don't have personal knowledge of that PC, but I would not choose to buy an old Compaq.

As a large company, they were big enough to do things in a non-standard way - you may find upgrading it quite tricky.

The actual spec is OK (no mention of a monitor?).

12 months warranty on a £200 PC is surprisingly good.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a spare PCI slot for a network card.

Nellie2 22:36 01 Feb 03

for 190 squid I would ask the vendor to chuck in another 64mb of memory....doesn't hurt to be cheeky. Don't forget you will need network cards if you want to network the pc's, also you didn't mention any sort of graphics card in the second one. As far as upgrading goes.....I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....but I thought compaqs were difficult to upgrade because you cannot use generic components, just compaq ones. And, it depends on whether the motherboard will support a different processor etc etc.
I am only a dabbler myself and by no means expert but I hope this is of some help to you. :)

CPU Magnet 22:43 01 Feb 03

I sort of forget that disad. with Compaq. Thannks for tyhe replies that i did get. guys. I will setup a new thread with a different PC, tell me what you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced