A good laptop graphics card

KWAKI 14:00 02 Jan 05

I'm looking at buying a laptop ,as they seem to have reached a level capable of playing decent games/graphics. I need to know which graphics cards i should be looking to buy though,to get the best out of the laptop.

The ATI Mobility Radion 9700 128mb seems to be used a lot, is this card any good?

Cheers for any advise.

KWAKI 17:28 02 Jan 05

Can you change the later ones like in a desktop?

citadel 20:31 02 Jan 05

have a look at Alienware and see what they are using for laptops.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:53 02 Jan 05

To answer your questions - yes the Radeon 9700 is very good, and no you can't change the graphics later on as the graphics chip is part of the motherboard.

jorel 23:23 02 Jan 05

The ATI Mobility Radion 9700 128mb is an excellent graphics card. The ATI Mobility Radion 9600 128mb is also worth considering if cost is an issue as that is what I have in my Laptop (with 1 gig of ram) and it has played Doom 3, Halo, and Far Cry without a stutter. As to the answer from Citadel, great Idea! Don't quote me but I believe Alienware actually have a laptop which they have designed with upgradeability for future graphics cards.

jorel 23:57 02 Jan 05

Uh, my mistake Kwaki. It's Dell and not Alien that have developed a laptop with upgradeable graphics card click here

KWAKI 12:34 03 Jan 05

Thanks, sounds like it might be the right move for me as space is a factor but i still want plenty of power (weight,size and battery power are not an issue ).

jorel 18:35 04 Jan 05

a lot of laptops now are near enough as powerful as a desk top with the processors, ram and cards they have in them. One thing worth considering is adding a seperate TFT monitor. I've done that with my laptop (LG Flatron 17"), and added a keyboard and mouse; now it's just like a desk top computer to use, but taking much less space and with the extra benefit of portability when I need it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac