Good Joomla hosting package

tims31 12:04 PM 24 Nov 08

Hi,
I have been asked to help set up a site for a local Church which is used as a source of information and also a place that they can download sermons. (Each one is about 5-8mb)

As they wish to be able to edit and add content themselves I thought Joomla would be the best for their needs. The long and short is I tried uploading what I had done to my hosting package to test it (streamline.net) and couldn't get it on there. After reading around it appears that Streamline is very difficult (if not impossible) to get the Joomla package onto!

Can anyone please recommend a good and reasonable hosting package for this site. It would need to probably have a couple of gb of storage and maybe 1gb of traffic a month. They would also like to have email forwarding.

I have guessed around £5.00 a month but can anyone please recommend from experience.

I will also be leaving streamline now thanks to their lack of support to this.

Thanks in advance

djbenny 14:43 PM 24 Nov 08

try click here $3.95 a month and can install joomla with 1 click!

PC Advisor Fan 13:06 PM 25 Nov 08

click here and you can automaticlty install it

Dragonfly2 14:26 PM 25 Nov 08

On another forum I read that "Google Sites" is good. Have a look at click here, it's a website for a church in Swansea. I don't know if it has what you're looking for.

djbenny 09:26 AM 26 Nov 08

ok then a uk company based in london click here

hope this help has 1 click install too

gerri-atrick 13:29 PM 26 Nov 08

I use 1 and 1 for all my drupal sites ......never had a problem or any downtime :) problem being u need a host that allows databases and php and the lowest on 1 and 1 is the bussiness package at £8.99 PM, but by adding adsense of affiliate adverts that covers the cost or even get a local business to sponsor the site - stay clear of the cheap hosts and always check before you sign up for a year u do get at least one database and php5.

Never tried joomla ...is it any good ? when it came to the choice i chose drupal, would like to know if i made the correct choice ;)

tims31 10:39 AM 27 Nov 08

Thanks for all that. I will have a look and see what seems the best. I would prefer a UK host just in case I run into any problems.

I am just getting into Joomla and as a CMS website it seems to be very good. There is a whole load of free templates for it to allow for customisation but will also be taking a look at how to change the default one once I get time. Installing it as well as XAMMP as a local server allows you to develop the site before publishing live.

tims31 10:55 AM 24 Sep 10

Plus for anyone interested....I finally used e-noise for the site hosting and they have been excellent throughout.

Forum Editor 00:29 AM 25 Sep 10

and for the green tick.

Martin_y 10:23 AM 19 Nov 10

Oh, I wish I'd found this before I embarked on my failed quest to install Joomla with streamline. Streamline have a limit of 1 minute process time (sic), so you cant even unzip your Joomla package on their server.

I tried doing ftp of every folder and file, and I still had problems. So I made about 20 zip files, uploaded one by one, and unzipped one by one - still I couldnt get Joomla to work. I installed my database on my local pc and used a local server (Xampp), installed joomla, and everything works perfectly. I am pretty sure I am tied into them for a year, so I will just put up an html and redirect to my new hosting provider, I will try e-noise.

About 40 hours (and £72) wasted with streamline so far!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…