A Good Intermediate Book On Web Design?

Charlie22bb 21:44 22 Jun 07

Hi,

Can anyone recommend what sort of book I should be looking for to help me go a bit further (a more professional look) in designing web pages. I have a read a few telling me about HTML and CSS, which I am quite comfortable with and was going to do a course. But looking at my local colleges, they all seem to be 'Building a Webpage' which is too basic.

I am hoping to be able to build ecommerce sites eventually but want to be able to understand and alter the page, hence I don't want to use WYSIWYG ediors.

I'm really asking for key words to look for when searching for books or courses as its a bit of a mindfield!

AndySD 12:56 23 Jun 07

Most web designers will use WYSIWYG editors both Dreamweaver and Frontpage are, but knowing the coding means you can also write and tweak it as well in the programmes.

What software are you using to design your site at the moment.

Charlie22bb 13:17 24 Jun 07

None! I have no idea what to buy as it is a big investment. I'm only using HML and CSS to build webpages.

granpa geek 09:32 25 Jun 07

Visual Quickstart Guide: Elizabeth Castro - Html, Xhtml & CSS for the WWW (advertised as the best - selling book on html) .
Also in the VS series: Tom Negrino Dori Smith - JavaScript for the WWW.
Both have a website for back up and downloading.
Having myself completed courses on the above subjects found the above good reference books at a reasonable price.

Charlie22bb 18:30 25 Jun 07

Thanks Granpa-geek. I will try the Javascript one. I already have the Elizabeth Castro one, which is excellent but I want to go further!

ScratchyDava 16:58 15 Jul 07

I'm currently using 'How to do everything with Dreamweaver 8' as an aide to get me off the ground. Recommended if you decide on this software (it should be discounted due to release of CS3 but is by no means obselete). Authored by Michael Meadhra.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now