A good design / code usage or not?

goose1984 09:25 14 May 05

Hiya all

I have created a website for my dad and just wanted to know your thoughts on the design and code. click here

The site is still under construction hence why it has hardly any content I am more interested getting the html and design right first.

Cheers

PurplePenny 12:16 14 May 05

Looking good; the design is crisp and clean. Will you be putting some pictures in?

The W3C icons say it all about the code ;-) (Doesn't it you give a nice warm, smug glow when the validator gives you the thumbs up?) Do get into the habit of clicking the icon each time you change something as you never know when a small typo might have introduced an error (it's on the Contact Me page). [I know that this is a good habit to get into because I failed to do it recently .... and discovered that it's embarrassing to have the "valid XHTML" logo on a page that doesn't quite validate :-( ]

I notice that you've gone for a width in ems. Did you try a percentage width? It grows and shrinks with the user's window so it is more flexible and preferred by accessibilty checkers.

Since you are using a style sheet you could have a go at CSS layout too. It can be a pain in the proverbial when it doesn't behave, and browsers all have their own little quirks to mess it up for you, but, again, accessibily checkers prefer it.

If you stick with the tables you need to give each one a summary (for people using assistive technology); if the table is layout only you just need summary="layout only".

LeadingMNMs 12:55 14 May 05

Looks good.

You'll have to sort out the widths though, because the page isn't centered at 1280 x 1024 and at 800 x 600 you'll lose the right-hand margin, and get a horizontal scrollbar.

You should be able to use 'margin-left:auto' and 'margin-right:auto' in the stylesheet (probably on the table), to sort that out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…