Good backup software

Griffon 20:55 26 Mar 07

Anyone recommend good backup software for data?

I backup weekly to an external HDD but I'm fed up with dumping everything in My Documents etc.

What I want is a program which saves every file the first time I back up. Then after that only those files which have changed.

In "the old days" windows used to have a backup facility but this seems to be gone in XP.

There was also all that nonsense about differential and incremental backups which I never understood.

PaulB2005 20:58 26 Mar 07

EzBackItUp - click here

First run backs everything up. Subsequent runs backs up everything thats been added or changed. Can also set it to delete anything that has been deleted.

Can also make a desktop icon so you can backup from a double click.

Oh and free....

PaulB2005 20:59 26 Mar 07

Or if you want a Disk Imaging Program Acronis True Image is hard to beat. click here

skidzy 21:01 26 Mar 07

Depending on xp home or xp pro the backup is availble.

click here

Is this what you were after ?

Griffon 23:03 26 Mar 07

Thanks folks.

What I want (I think) is a simple copy backup like PaulB's EZBack-it-up. Do you use this by the way? Is it reliable? I notice this is unsupported software.

Thanks Skidzy for the location of XP's backup accesory. I've installed it and run it and this reminded me how untransparent MS make the process. I'm not sure I trust it'll do what I want. The backup sort of disappears into one big backup file, compressed. Has it really worked if I need it? See what I mean?

Strawballs 01:31 27 Mar 07

I use Acronis True Image 10 the best £24 I have ever spent.

Snec 01:53 27 Mar 07

Acronis is fine, I use it for system backups, but for data backup it's rather over-kill. I use Cobian click here

I have in the past tried quite a lot of the freeware prgs but never one that works properly. For instance folders in folders in folders was something none of of them can be fully relied on to copy every time.

For a backup to be any good it must work properly every time. Cobian does.

terryfow 04:33 27 Mar 07

Acronis for me, I do a full backup of C: but I only keep OS and program files on C, the rest including OE store folder I keep on a separate D hard drive. This way if I have a system mal-function, I don't lose all my data

CLONNEN 07:20 27 Mar 07

I use Allway Sync to make copies of all my files on my backup drive.

PaulB2005 07:33 27 Mar 07

Do you use this by the way? Is it reliable?

Yes. Used it for years.

I use it to copy all my documents and various other folders and files to a second hard drive daily. Then again to a USB External Hard Drive monthly and then i also backup the most important docs to a USB pen drive daily using it. I also know several others that use it with USB External Hard Drives and to backup across networks.

I also use ATI 10 too...

JayDay 08:30 27 Mar 07

SyncBack click here is very good. The clink takes you to their freeware version or there is a paid for version.

I use it and have found no problems. Does full backups and incremental.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video