By golly, we have a problem!

Suzuko 18:18 28 Jul 06

My PC motherboard sometimes "speaks" during bootup. I wish I had a list of the different things it says because they take me by surprise and I usually can't make them out.

The name of the problematic part always comes before "we have a problem". One time it said "Keyboard and mouse, we have a problem!" and I discovered that one of the cats had pulled the connections loose.

Another time it said "PCI card, we have a problem" then refused to finish booting. Well, there's no PCI card in this computer, so I contacted the manufacturer and they told me to reset the CMOS jumper. That cleared it up.

I've heard it say a few other things that I couldn't make out, but last night what it said sounded like "By golly, we have a problem!" LOL and I can't think of what it was referring to.

What computer part can it be?

FelixTCat 18:21 28 Jul 06

Suzuko,

Was this after the pubs closed last night?

Suzuko 18:32 28 Jul 06

Felix - I was expecting this kind of retort.... Someone on another forum said "Could it be your "Big Ollie". I´m sure my PC has one of those." I keep busting up laughing over that.

But seriously, I don't drink or anything. This really did happen and it's driving me nuts.

ed-0 18:42 28 Jul 06

These are the usual messages for " voice bios post messages"

click here Could it be No floppy, we have a problem?

ed-0 18:43 28 Jul 06

Can you post the make and model of the motherboard, unless you have customised the settings. The basic settings should give a clue.

Suzuko 19:01 28 Jul 06

It's AOpen AK77-600 Max, and I haven't customised anything that I can recall or that would cause this. And it didn't sound like "no floppy" because the first part didn't sound like "no".

Meshuga 20:14 28 Jul 06

With a thread title like this we All have a problem.

ed-0 20:26 28 Jul 06

Well I've had a look at the manual and this is all it has click here

just about the same as above. The only thing I can think of is see if it says it again.

SANTOS7 20:42 28 Jul 06

It is a "POST REPORTER" built in to your Mobo other makes have them and it is telling you if you have any errors at startup...

SANTOS7 20:53 28 Jul 06

Go into BIOS at startup and in the advanced settings under I/O device config. you should see "speech post reporter" you can dissable/enable it from there...

Suzuko 20:59 28 Jul 06

I know what it is and don't want to disable it. I would like to make it louder, but don't know how. If it were louder I could probably tell what it's saying when there is background noise. As it is, it's so quiet that even the PC case fans all but drown it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…