Going Wirless - starting out

Tinderstick 13:47 02 Jan 06

Hi,

I currently have Dell Inspiron 9300 and Telewest B'band using a 'Surfbox'. Anyone know if I can use any Wirless Router with Telewest? Also, do I need anything else to get started?

Thanks

mgmcc 15:29 02 Jan 06

You can use any "stand-alone" Wireless Router, often described as a "Cable/DSL Router", with Telewest. Just be very careful *NOT* to get a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" as these are only for use with ADSL broadband delivered via the phone line.

I use a Buffalo router with Telewest - click here - but models from any of the mainstream suppliers such as Belkin, Netgear, D-Link, Linksys etc, should be fine. Obviously the computer you are connecting wirelessly to the router with needs to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed.

Tinderstick 20:28 02 Jan 06

also, I wondered what kind of range these routers have? I only want to use it with one Laptop and live in a small flat. But, if I wanted to take it to my Dad's, could I take the router to his house and use it to connect to his AOL broadband?? Thanks

mgmcc 23:52 02 Jan 06

<<< I wondered what kind of range these routers have? >>>

My Cable Modem and the Router are in a small upstairs room. I get a very good signal and reliable connection when using a laptop in the Living Room downstairs, so a flat shouldn't be a problem.

<<< But, if I wanted to take it to my Dad's, could I take the router to his house and use it to connect to his AOL broadband?? >>>

Only if he has AOL in conjunction with the NTL Cable Service. If his connection is ADSL via the phone line, then your "Cable" router won't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…