Going wireless - How???

cbr keith 15:01 20 Apr 06

Hiya all,

Title should really read "wireless for the clueless" - because that's me!

I've just got a new laptop with wireless built in (802.11/g). I've also had Telewest broadband installed, that comes with a modem that connects using a lan cable. With the Lan cable connected between modem & laptop all works fine.

My question is this - can I buy a wireless "widget", connect the modem to the "widget" with the lan cable, then connect the laptop to the "widget" wirelessly? If so what sort of "widget" do I need?

Would it also be possible to connect my old pc to the same "widget" via a Lan cable and share the internet connection between the two computers?

I'm a complete networking/wireless dimbo and have no idea what hardware I need so any help/advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help

Keith.

ade.h 15:23 20 Apr 06

You need a wireless cable/DSL router, and that's it.

Your notebook needs no additions, your desktop will connect via its existing RJ45 Ethernet port (which you must have if you have a cable modem, right?) and said modem will connect to the router.

DO NOT buy a modem/router; they are for ADSL users.

cbr keith 16:29 20 Apr 06

Nice one, thanks. That sounds easy! My old pc does have a RJ45 as you assumed.

Is there a particular make and/or model of router that you would recommend? one that's easy to setup for a novice (me!)

ade.h 16:36 20 Apr 06

Yes there is; when people have asked me to set up networks for them and have asked what kit they need, I have always bought them a Belkin router, because that's what I have used for the last six months and it has been flawless. Some people have had mixed experiences with them - some of which is purely a case of RTFM - and some of which have been failures, but read the positive responses in this thread click here for some balance. Other than that; buy a 3Com.

cbr keith 16:44 20 Apr 06

Thanks very much for your help, now it's time to surf for that shiny new router...

Thanks again
Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…