Going Wireless!!!

melbaz 14:38 23 Nov 08

I am currently connected using BT Broadband (USB ADSL Modem), I am buying a laptop as a xmas gift for my son but do not know how to connect this to the internet via a wireless connection. I have contacted BT but they have said that if I upgrade my modem to a wireless hub then my PC will not be able to connect via this as it is not wireless enabled. What can I do,can I just buy a wireless modem to connect the two or do I have to upgrade it via BT????

Hope this makes some sense.

mgmcc 16:51 23 Nov 08

You can buy a combined wireless "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces the USB ADSL Modem. Conventional routers, such as the very popular Netgear DG834 range, incorporate a 4-port network switch so you can connect four computers by ethernet cable in addition to connecting computers "wirelessly" to it. Your own PC would need to have a network adapter installed (check for a "Local Area Connection" in the Network Connections folder) or you could buy a USB Wireless Network Adapter to connect "wirelessly" too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…