going wireless

BRADS11 19:30 12 Sep 06

I have a BT home hub wireless modem which at moment im connected to via cable. I have just bought my son a PC and would like to get him hooked up to the internet. I cant afford 2 wireless adapters/cards so will the hub still work if I remained 'wired up' and we got my son an adapter??

amateurann 19:36 12 Sep 06

I have Home Hub too. You can connect by any method wireless or cable. They are compatable with each other.

Strawballs 19:42 12 Sep 06

Yes you can use wired and wireless at the same time.

BRADS11 18:09 13 Sep 06

thanks thats that problem sorted, but now what type of adapter do I get? I have seen some with speeds of 54 and 125 mbps. I take it the higher the mbps the faster the connection. Am I correct??

amateurann 18:58 13 Sep 06

I use a Dabs Value Edimax 802.11g pci card which I got from Dabs.com £12.41 + postage. Works really well through two brick walls & 25 feet away. One niggle I did have was software interfered with phone on hub but once I removed it and chose windows to manage connection option it has been brilliant. Really strong connection.
Hope this helps. I have only had my hub 6 weeks but am relly impressed with it.

amateurann 19:00 13 Sep 06

P.S. Hub works at 54mbps and is 802.11g compatable. Speed depends on line connection and traffic.

Strawballs 19:58 13 Sep 06

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of large file moving around the network or playing a lot of the latest games then 54mbps far exceeds any internet connection speed currently availiable and by the time the speeds have caught up the next n generation of wireless will be out with theorectical speeds much higher again.

BRADS11 20:23 13 Sep 06

Thanks, now I know what to look out for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant