going wireless

simo3006 19:16 19 Dec 05

Hi, ive got a travelmate 220 laptop using windows xp and have recently bought a wireless router and wireless pc card for the laptop,when i try installing the card its all ok untill the end when it says (windows zero configuration was detected) please disable windows wireless network control i go into the control panel and it says to right click on network connections but when i do this it gives me no further options so dont no what else to do.
Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong!!!

ade.h 20:04 19 Dec 05

First question: why do you need a PC card? Unless you are using a non-standard router such as a MIMO, you don't need it, surely?

To disable services, you need to run services.msc.

Be sure that you need to use this card before disabling potentially important wireless functions.

simo3006 20:09 19 Dec 05

dont i need a wireless pc card to connect to the wireless router and is the laptop compatable

ade.h 20:13 19 Dec 05

Unless your laptop is quite ancient and has no built-in wireless, then it's ready to go.

I'm typing this on a laptop that is served by a modem/router in my study. No other equipment involved.

ade.h 20:14 19 Dec 05

Open Network Connections (from the Start Menu or Control Panel) and tell me what LAN and wifi connections you have already.

simo3006 20:39 19 Dec 05

i dont have any LAN or wifi connections .

ade.h 20:45 19 Dec 05

That's bizarre. I would expect one LAN connection and one wi-fi connection. click here

ade.h 20:47 19 Dec 05

I'm guessing that you must have a laptop that is not wifi-enabled. Very unusual. In which case you'll need to disable the service mentioned in that warning message from services.msc.

Read your product manual carefully and post if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps.

simo3006 20:49 19 Dec 05

ive gone back into network connections and its deffinatly empty.

ade.h 20:54 19 Dec 05

Windows Zero Config is listed in Services. Change its startup type to Disabled and stop the service if it's currently running.

ade.h 20:56 19 Dec 05

Actually Wireless Zero Config.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…