Going out of Telewest Broadband contract?

siliconbits 15:23 03 Dec 03

Any idea how? A worst case scenario happened and I must cease the contract ASAP because of my landlady. Any idea how I can go out of the contract without having to pay a £420 fee and not using the line.
What about moving house?

Sir Radfordin 15:32 03 Dec 03

I think if you move outside of the telewest area then you may be released from the contract. But other than that you have no get out clause. Telewest do give T&Cs that suggest you make sure you are going to be able to stay in the house for 12 months.

The other 'less legal' option is to stop paying the bill and vanish. Just hope they never catch up with you.

terminus 15:55 03 Dec 03

Thou art a scoundrel and a knave!

Advising a lowly vassal how to

survive and mis-behave.

Sir Radfordin 16:11 03 Dec 03

Can only present the options ;)

It should be noted that you risk getting credit-blacklisted for failing to pay bills or sticking to terms of contracts. Such things can haunt you for the rest of your life - unless you hide very well!

TBH1 16:53 03 Dec 03

why £420 ? Surely, if minimum contract is a year (and I'm guessing there), you must be so many months into it - - so by paying up to your 12 months , even though you won't be using it, it will be cheaper than the £420 - - - and what you bin doin' to that land-lady then ????

terminus 17:01 03 Dec 03

lets hide between what is seen
lets hide between what's met,
tomorrow is/today, the future?
'tis a fool that might well
be well met?

Djohn 17:15 03 Dec 03

Approach your ISP with your reasons for wishing to end the contract. Although it has been made and should be kept by both of you, they may agree to an early release with either, no penalty or a small fee to end same.

This way neither side is "breaking" the contract, but re-negotiating it. Some ISP's will be quite happy to do this. [Customer relations].

AOL have just released me from a 12 month Broadband contract that had been running for less than 4 months, no fee or penalty was charged. and we parted on good terms with an email from them wishing me luck with my new ISP and that I would be welcome back at any time. j.

siliconbits 17:26 03 Dec 03

Djohn

Thanks for your support. The fact is that my landlady is an old, stubborn lady. She phoned them first to ask for the details and as you might guess, the spinsdoctors out there were too happy to get someone who knows nothing abt computing and bb. The thing that convinced her that I could go ahead were the words "No wires and satellite". Fast forward now to what happened.
I phoned to Telewest and talked to their ceasing department where a guy told me bluntly that I could not come out of it. I had apparently misunderstood the cooling period definition.

Anyway, I am seriously considering purchasing a W/less kit (Cable Router and PCI kit) for less than £50 to replace the cable

Djohn 19:08 03 Dec 03

siliconbits

You have my full sympathy with your situation. The "Cooling off" period is an entirely different thing and is there to protect you, and give you the right "By Law" to change your mind.

What you need if you have gone past this period of time, is to talk to Customer services and explain why you wish to change your contract.

They may agree, they may not, it is after all a contract agreed by both of you. But this does not mean they are not prepared to discuss "altering" the contract. But again this would need to be agreed by both parties, and confirmed in writing. [e-mail will do if names/ref. number are on it].

It's really up to you to use your negotiating skills and present a good case as to why they should release you, and on what terms they will accept.

As mentioned above, don't just stop paying, even if they could not trace you by any means, the default will be registered on your Credit file and remain there for 6 years, [Drops off then]. This will of course have an affect on you obtaining credit in any form for the period stated above.

If your not sure of your rights, pop along to the C.A.B. and seek advice. As far as I'm aware, your ISP will have needed permission from your landlady to install any equipment/services to her premises.

Good luck j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…