Going back to XP

kimtrnc 10:06 19 Mar 11

Yes, ok - I'm a backsliding Luddite. I have decided I want, and need, a system which lets ME decide where data and programs are located. Can't stand the way 7 makes the decisions for me, leaving me unable to find the file I have just been working on. etc, etc. A friend has set my system up as dual boot, until I have got everything shipshape on the XP petition. Most things going ok...EXCEPT, the diskdrive (1 only!) which works perfectly on 7, won't work in XP. Which, of course, means I can't run any of my CD programs - worst of all, I have lost my elderly Office 97 (much easier than the new varieties that MS keep releasing)
Anyone got some wonderful ideas as to what might be wrong, and how to put it right?
I should say that I am an elderly lady who has lost most of her marbles...HELP, please?

Chris the Ancient 10:13 19 Mar 11

Sorry to have that your having difficulties. I'm a 'dyed in the wool' XP user myself.

If you get stuck, I have a copy of Office XP on CD that you can have if you need it. Just use the yellow envelope and drop me you details, and I'll gladly let you have it for free.

bremner 10:19 19 Mar 11

Is your computer fairly new and did it come with W7 installed?

Has your friend then added XP as a dual boot?

I am asking as it is possible the computer has a SATA DVD Drive which XP does not natively have the necessary drivers installed.

What is the make and model of computer?

Chris the Ancient 10:33 19 Mar 11

Whoops!
Sorry... I meant Office 97
Or 2000
Or 2002

jimv7 12:07 19 Mar 11

Win 7 like most other operating systems has the options to change the 'save to' default paths to a location of your choice.

kimtrnc 14:03 19 Mar 11

Chris - very nice of you, but I already have a genuine Office XP disk, purchased many moons ago. I just don't have a disk drive that works - although it's ok in 7. Same problem with my elderly HP laserjet - works ok in 7, won't work in XP

Jimv7 - of course, but why do I want to have "libraries" decided by 7 - I've been using computers of many sorts going back to the good ol' Vic 20. I think I can just about remember where I sent my files, and why. Wouldn't be so bad if 7 had a decent search facility....

Bremner, how do I find out if that IS the problem, please, and if it is, what is the solution? Win 7 was installed approx 14 months ago.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 19 Mar 11

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7.
You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes
click here works for vista or XP
click here

or manual fix
Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

TonyV 16:45 19 Mar 11

I have been trying to add a folder called My Documents to the silly system being used in Win7. It will not let me put such a folder and all its contents in the Documents part of the Library. It insists on putting it in the Public Documents. Where the hell is the logic in that?

How do I get My Documents to be a simple one click operation to get to it without it being a sub folder of Public Docs?

Thanks

TonyV

kimtrnc 17:17 19 Mar 11

Fruitbat - I followed your instructions to the letter, but UpperFilters and LowerFilters do not exist in my Xp system

TonyV 17:57 19 Mar 11

My comments should not have been included here. I tried to open a new thread, but must have screwed up somewhere!! See here click here

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 19 Mar 11

HAve you tried the "fixes"?
Has the CD drive reappeared in Device Manager (try rebooting)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…