Goback and defrag

Graham32 15:11 28 Nov 05

A really basic question I'm afraid - do I need to turn off Goback when I defrag my hard disk (or at least is it advisable to do so)? Thanks

PaulB2005 16:10 28 Nov 05

Nope

mattyc_92 16:20 28 Nov 05

No, but remember that all restore points will be removed when you defrag.....

GaT7 16:21 28 Nov 05

To be on the safe side I'd turn off GoBack before defragmenting, or defrag in Safe Mode.

If you use a disk defrag program like Diskeeper/Norton Speed Disk see - "How to use defragmentation utilities with GoBack enabled" click here.

Also see, from click here - "One other thing to note is that if you use a disk defragmenter program, you need to make sure you exclude the Norton Snap Shot file. Not all defrag utilities have an exclusion feature. On the bright side, I've got one that does not allow me to exclude this file and GoBack still worked, but the instructions strongly recommend against this practice."

G

realist 17:19 28 Nov 05

This is the procedure I follow for Windows 98se Defrag and Scandisk:
1.Save info from any open progs.
2.Close all open progs.
3.Turn off any active screensavers.
4.Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL select any prog except explorer and systray and click "End Task".
5.Repeat until all progs except Explorer and Systray are closed.
6 Run Defrag/Scandisk and when each is finished reboot pc.
This gets the job done quicker I find.

PaulB2005 17:58 28 Nov 05

I stand corrected.

GaT7 18:24 28 Nov 05

Actually PaulB2005, you may be right. I've used GB in the past (with Win98se) & don't remember turning it off prior to running a defrag (but my memory isn't very good!). The reviewer (see my 2nd link) apparently got away without any problems too. I suppose it's just 'better' not to run a defrag with GB enabled.

Graham32, instead of Windows defragmenter you may do well to use the free version of Diskeeper (DK) click here, & exclude the GB bin file in DK (see my first link).

When GoBack was made by Roxio (now Symantec), this is what they had to say about GB & defragging click here - concerns v2.x to 3.1x. G

mattyc_92 20:33 28 Nov 05

As I have already said.... You DON'T HAVE to disable GoBack, but either way you will probably find that all your restore points have been removed.....

Graham32 21:01 28 Nov 05

Thanks for all your help. I was expecting to lose the restore points. The issue is whether having Goback log the defrag changes would make a long process unacceptably longer, perhaps to the extent that the Goback history file could not cope with all the changes - it's the first time the hard disk will have been defragmented (I won't say in how long but it's a 98SE system!!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…