Gmail and Tiscali 10.0 Possible Hijack??

frager 12:33 05 Jun 05

A friend of mine, who is a complete novice at computers has developed a problem trying to access her email account. She is using Gmail from Google.

1. She set click here as her home page and accessed her email from there.
2. Now when she goes on-line she finds Tiscali 10.0 as part of the Title Bar and is unable to open her email account. She does not have an account with Tiscali
3. We downloaded and ran Ad-aware from Lavasoft and deleted any spyware we found. This did not solve the problem.
4. She assures me that she did not open any attachments from emails and it is highly unlikely she even got attachments.
5. Her Antivirus software is about six months out of date.
6. She ordered an airline ticket over the internet about two weeks ago and thinks her problems started after that.
We would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Pat

Diodorus Siculus 15:22 05 Jun 05

Clear out temp files: CrapCleaner is a good option - click here

Then update AV - get a free version is current one is out of date. click here for a good one.

frager 17:45 07 Jun 05

Thanks to those who replied to my post.

The problem seems to be resolved. When I turned on my friends computer today I found Tiscali 10.0 had been installed, so I just removed it and that seems to have solved the problem.

She has no idea how Tiscali got there. Perhaps it was pre-installed by Dell when she bought the laptop last August. This seems unlikely as we live in Ireland and, to my knowledge Tiscali is not available here.

She has McAfee Antivirus installed, but we failed to update it because she cannot remember what password she used when she registered and she is not recognised as a registered user.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…